1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Word (Office Professional Edition 2003) frequently closes

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by maxx_eclipse, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxx_eclipse

maxx_eclipse Thread Starter

Good afternoon people,

Firstly, I would like to say hello to everyone who've helped me in the past with my Access help. It's been a long absence with study commitments and such, but as is the purpose of this group, I would like to ask for some tech help:

The situation: Microsoft Word (as part of Office 2003 Professional Edition) frequently closes without user notification on my dad's laptop (Windows Vista Basic). It's recently started, and it interrupts his work. He says that the issue occurs when he minimises documents, but he didn't indicate a frequency of this occurrence. He also told me that once he successfully saves a document and closes Word, he then encounters issues when opening said document; it says that the file has been "corrupted" (I can't remember exactly what the dialog box says), and that the data can be recovered, or to proceed with opening the document. Data recovery doesn't work, and when he proceeds to open the document, Word returns "Program not responding" and "Critical error caused by the program" and other prompts of this nature, which then forces the program to quit.

I am aware that a similar problem is in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for Word 2003, but was last revised in 2004 (so covered only xp and 2000), and am not certain if this issue is the same for Windows Vista. It related to the "Handwriting Recognition" program.

Additionally, as always, there are a multitude of issues, problems and queries with Microsoft Word on this forum, so locating a post that is related to this issue would be quite the mammoth task.

Terribly sorry if this post may be a repeat of one from the past.

Appreciate help.

2. maxx_eclipse

Any chance of anyone helping?

3. maxx_eclipse

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Issued was caused by a corrupt normal template (normal.dot) file. Was deleted through "%appdata%/Microsoft/Templates", and then Word builds a new one when opening.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961401