1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Word Saved Path Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by doogdoog, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    I am using Microsoft Word 97 SR-2 and my os is Microsoft windows Vista V6.0.6002. I saved files using the Save As and it shows a strange path that I cannot find. EX: users\howard\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\tempory in...\contents.IE5\G23306IR.
    I can follow the path down to windows but cannot find the \tempory in...\contents.IE5\G23306IR and I can't find it using search ether. It is not in the documents folder so where did it go? Oh, the default path was not changed.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well that's not the right path to be saving files and its a hidden folder as well as a System Folder so you need to unhide those from Folder Options, you should correct the path to your Documents folder. However you should also update your Office to something more modern, Office 97 is terribly obsolete and not Compatible with Windows 7. If you want a free alternative try LibreOffice: http://www.libreoffice.org/download

3. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha Triple6,
    Thanks for the reply and yes, I will have to update my MW but that is the path that was created by Ms word. The folder isn't hidden because I chose to display all the hidden files. Sorry for the late reply since I am having problems with my new computer and may have to return it. Thanks again.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The problems you are having might be related to to old software, 14 year old software shouldn't be used on a brand new system.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

My guess is you're opening Word documents as attachments in e-mail. Save them to a normal Documents folder.

6. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha DoubleHelix,
    Yes, that is what my wife did and that answers the question but it sure is a weird path that it showed and impossible for me to locate.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's a temporary folder. The files are probably gone. Tell your wife to save files in known folders like Documents.

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    This is the path that is used when a doc is opened when it is attached to a email and then saved.

What happens if you were to start up Word and the make a new file, what path is shown then??

9. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha DaveA,
    Sorry for the late reply and when I save a new doc, it points to my documents and there are some options on the save so I am able to save it wherever I want. Looks like the problem is solved but attachments will have to given a saved path or I guess it will go to the default location.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

10. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha All!

Thanks for all the help.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not a default location. It's a temporary folder. That's where your web browser saves them temporarily when you open them. When you close the browser, they're deleted. It's not a problem with Word. This will happen with any attachment of any file type.

12. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Thanks, that drove my crazy looking for the file. LOL

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice