1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Works Calendar not so good. Are there any good desktop calendars out there

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by referee07, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I currently use the Microsoft Works Calendar as a PDA keeping track of appointments, birthdays, etc. but find that I can't print out reports according to categories. I can only print out days, weeks or months. Is there a good, free calendar that I can use and be able to import the information that I already have in the Works Calendar into that calendar?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

What about this one Ref here

4. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Wolfeymole, thanks for the link. This calendar looks very good. I do wonder how it can be offered for free? Do you think that there could be any spyware or some other type of malware included in the download. Also, what is this Art.com, ClickBankMall, Digital Camera Questions and other buttons that are included? Do you have this calendar and if so what do you think of it? Thanks again for the link.

Referee07

5. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Wolfeymole, I see that you have sever Windows '98 links included in your posts. What do you think of Windows '98 compared to Windows '98SE? A friend gave me a Gateway Solo notebook computer with Windows '98 installed and it has given me nothing but problems. I thought of upgrading to Windows '98SE. (I can't upgrade to any newer version of Windows because the notebook can't handle it. What do you think of Windows '98SE?
    Thanks.

6. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Hi Ref
    Calendar first:
    Further down on that link I gave you it does state there is no spyware in it and to me the links are just sponsors of the calendar perhaps. To me that bit is no big deal.
    They only caveat is the fact that I cant dump the outlook section and put a link to my web mail in.
    I do like the fact that I can put my own pics on the calendar pages, but at the end of the day anything can and does beat MS's pathetic attempt at a calendar.

98SE:
    I would wholeheartedly recommend installing SE. It's one of the better things that MS has turned out, very stable and did not fall over every 2 minutes like ME.
    What are your specs as I have run XP before today on a 266mhz cpu and 128mb ram, obviously a tad slow but bearable.

7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Wolfeymole, thanks for the response. Well, I downloaded the calendar and my computer didn't blow up. 8~) I do have one question re: the calender. Do you know if it's possible to import the calendar entries form Microsoft's Works Calendar?

Re: Windows '98SE, I have checked it out on the Web and 99% of the people have echoed what you said, i.e., Windows 98SE is THE most stable platform that Bill Gates and Company have ever come out with. I plan to get a copy come November 1st and try it out on this older Gateway notebook. I really don't know what the specs. are on the notebook. After repeated crashes of Windows '98 (%$#%^&), the computer would not even boot-up. I have hence cleaned the hard drive in anticipation of Windows '98SE. I do know that the resources are very small and plan to use it when I travel as a PDA and to check E-mail. There are a lot of companies on the Internet selling Windows '98SE. With a "Tabla Rassa" what would you suggest re: buying a copy of Windows '98SE? What is OEM? Is it good/the best? What about buying a Windows '98SE upgrade as opposed to something else? Thanks again for your help.

Referee07

8. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Hi Ref
    Calendar:
    I don't think it is possible to import from MS's calendar so some donkey work may be involved transferring your stuff over manually.

Software

OEM, when used to describe software, is used to differentiate that version of the software which is bundled with other hardware or software from that same software package sold on its own as a retail package. The packaging and legal rights that come with the OEM versions of a software package generally differ from what is provided with the retail versions. The functionality of the software is often the same, but it is quite common for the OEM version to be a version with reduced functionality. (For instance the OEM version of Cyberlink PowerDVD supports two-channel audio but not multi-channel sound systems. A customer who wishes to play DVDs with multi-channel sound is required to pay to upgrade to the full version).

OEM software may be licensed under conditions requiring that it be sold with computer hardware. To avoid contravening the conditions while passing OEM software savings on to end users, some retailers will sell OEM software with a "token" hardware device of small cost, such as a tiny SIMM or a cable splitter.

The practice of utilizing OEMs and Value Added Resellers (VARs) in today's cost competitive environment falls under the broader category of outsourcing - a popular business strategy which taps into the original manufacturer's ability to drive cost out of production of the product through manufacturing economies of scale; thereby being able to pass on a more competitive purchase price to the reseller which, in turn, makes each partner in the transaction more competitive.*

*This text is transcribed under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.

I wouldn't buy an upgrade as it's a bit like adding some bells and whistles, so go with the full stand alone OEM 98SE.

9. letchworth

letchworth

The one thing I would caution about upgrading the OS--- make sure you have all the device drivers for the hardware on your machine.

Go to the manufacturer's website and find out if they have 98SE drives for all the hardware included on the laptop (especially because it is a laptop). This include (but is not limited to) motherboard driver, touchpad driver, soundcard driver, video driver--- and every driver I have not listed.

If you get them before you spend the money on the OS- your upgrade will go a whole lot easier.

Also- you might consider Linux-- the OS is free-- some versions work very well in the more limited environments of an older machine (& really fly on newer, resource-filled systems). Drivers are still the big deal--- but Linux forums are filled with peole who have done it before and are more than glad to help. PLUS, many "flavors" of Linux come in a "try-before-you-install"--- "LIVE" version that loads from your CD into memory so you can decide if all your equipment has been found & installed before you dump the old OS.

Just a couple things to consider,
    letchworth

10. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Wolfeymole and Letchworth, thanks for the replies. Right now the laptop is in a "tabla rassa" state and so I don't know which drivers I will need. I do know that I will need the video drivers because something was wrong with them before I wiped the hard drive and I had a difficult time downloading them because the video was so messed up. I am thinking that when I load the Windows '98SE, the video will continue to be messed up, correct? Thanks again.

11. letchworth

letchworth

Yes & no-- it will probably be the very basic (I don't know the term) resolution that is used for bootup-- Normally the driver kicks in at that point and switches to higher resolution. (That is why it is important to have drivers ahead of time).

For what it is worth-- I just ran the "Live" (off CD) version of PCLinOS (Linux) on my Toshiba laptop and it found everything right out of the box. Granted- that is a newer machine with faster processor than what you probably have-- but it installed every driver upon bootup & could have been permanently installed at that point--- all without any messing around.

Again, good luck--
    letchworth

12. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

letchworth, thanks again for the reply. I'm not so sure about Linux. I have been using Windows since Bill Gates was a boy and find switching to something new a little disconcerting. I will do some checking in the Internet and see what I can find out.

Referee07

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/511984