1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Microsoft Works Word Processor

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Red Wolf, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Red Wolf

Red Wolf Thread Starter

I reset the Microsoft Works Word Processor to default with a different font size. It worked fine. Then, while setting up a printing for envelopes, I tried to reset that as a default as well. Big mistake. Now when I open the word processor program it comes up as the envelope function and I cannot get the original page for letter writing back. Microsoft was no help when I accessed their web page (too far over my head in their explanations as well as being not too user-friendly for my level of understanding). Does anyone know how I can get it open the right way again? I use Window's Vista on an Acer Extensa 5620. Thanks.

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

This only applies for the Works word processor, the common one in Works NOT spelled with a capital W, as in Word.

First, only do this with the Work word processor not going.
    If you really only want one default word processing template in Works (and it sounds like you do), and if you have no other templates that you want (and it sounds like you don't) then you can just delete all templates in this folder:
    C:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Template\
    Then, just start up the word processor and see if it is fixed.

If that is not the case, just let me know and I will adjust and tell you what else you can do, instead.

3. Red Wolf

Red Wolf Thread Starter

I tried that suggestion, but it didn't do anything. However, I ran blindly into a round-a-bout way that fixed it. I went to the File menu in Works word and saw the title of the template I was trying to get back. I clicked it and lo and behold there it was. I opened the File menu on that screen and clicked 'Save as'. When the next window opened I clicked 'Template' at the lower right side and when the next screen appeared I clicked 'Default'. That did the trick. It's amazing what my ignorance will lead me in and out of. Regardless, thanks, ChuckE for your help. I really appreciate your concern and assistance.
    Red Wolf

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

Glad you fixed it. That was just about what I was going to tell you to do, if you had trouble with my first, simpler, all-inclusive suggestion.

The process you finally did was the way to actually do it properly. I already had the steps detailing how to do it, typed out, and I just had to drop them into a message here.

The method I had told you about would have removed all of templates that Works uses for starting a new blank document. In fact, it actually should have deleted even the modified one you were using. When the Works word processor has no "Normal.wpt" file (that is the regular default template) or whatever other named default template to use at start up, it will create a brand new Normal.wpt file, and use that.

I wonder why my first steps did not work? That's weird. Oh well, if you are happy, I am happy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice