1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mid Mobo Replacement Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ariesjill, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned Thread Starter

O Hi.:eek:

If I had one brain cell left I would have slept and started this mobo replacment later today. But I don't. And I soooo wanna get this done and see if my poor Optiplex awakens from the dead.

Now, I am down to just having removed the finned assembly under which the copper plate makes contact with the chip....via the two sturdy Philips head bolts to the mobo. I naturally left the fan per se.

I see fins and stuff have dust---also fan per se....why I expected pristine I do not know.

So now I see my chip for the first time ever, OK? My new thermal paste is in the syringe, I had never seen thermal paste. Wut is on there looks like zinc oxide ointment, OK? It is opaue white. I had no idea it was white.

Now, the fried mobo is secured to the frame with SIX SCREWS. There are two more holes into which two more clearly fit! (I will circle those in the pics in red.) Now....earlier I posted a thread suddenly associating some metal thingy which I have always heard rolling around the bottom of this tower..and only after seeing something online, did I yesterday associate it with maybe, OMG that might have fried the mobo.....since, after it fried I finally got it out and guess wut? It was, I now see.... identical to the mobo screws!

Someone responded, saying yes, that could have done it!!!!

If so....given the two empty holes, this could mean the sleazoid vendor I got this from....replaced the mobo and maybe, putting in one of the two not present screws....said screw it (pun intended) and it fell down to the bottom under the mobo!!!!! Does anyone else think this is possible? Relatedly, do I NEED SCREWS FOR THE TWO EMPTY HOLES? True they are toward the midde of that end....and the existing six seem to hold the board securely.

Next issue....there is black plastic cover with openings saying foxconn...and with remove tab on the the bed for the chip on the new board and it says, "Important! Plase transfer this cover to the old system board" wut cover???

Next, I do not know how to make the CPU lift out of the old board. Nothng came up like the hooked thingy when I lifted the fined unit with copper plate on bottom up from the chip & removed it. I do not wanna pry anything in any way. Prying leads to Crying.

I know this is pathetic to anyone who has done this, but keep in mind this is my first one. (actually no way as challenging as I expected. so far...but I do not wanna speak 2 soon.

I made pics and will now attach them. Then I will await instructions. I think I should get some sleep in the meantime....before I proceed with actual CPU removal and transfer....and installing the new board and hooking everything back up.

I will cherish any responses and all help.

Attached Files:

2. Ariesjill

OK one more thing....I just saw that the two screWs holding the big finned thingy's PLASTIC BRACE....INTO WHICH THE FINNED THINGY SLIPS....ALSO SECURED THE MOBO TO THE FRAME VIA two larger screws, coated pretty translucent blu/green. They and the brace R now out and poor MOE is liberated-OUT.(y)

I am little dizzy with tired and must now sleep to refresh me for the next PHASE: CHIP REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT......cause in this I am (as per above) unexpectedly stuck. Only reason I might B able to sleep at all is at least I got part of this done.:eek:

OK...WUT IS A ZERO POINT LEVER? I just read I need to lift it. (I am now laughing in the way I think people in padded cells do.)

3. Ariesjill

OK if someone is now moved 2 hit me wit a brick....I kinda don't blame them....yes I am still awake and Googling & laughing strangely

I found this cutie:
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035-1041088.html

Veyr helpful I think. Cept I used isopropryl to clean the copper plate on bottom of heatsink....it says U could use acetone as well. I have acetone. Not sure if I should do one after the other or wut. When I stop this not at all healthy laughing it may come to me, OK? a Cleaning the heatsink plate and chiP (still in the original board) fluid...EPIPHANY!!!

I think I should NOT use....MURIATIC ACID. omg that is so hilarious!!!!! but only to me in this state, OK?

4. SB305

SB305

Shoulda gone out an hour ago, so this is fast.
    MOST IMPORTANT do NOT break what you call the cradle. If you haven't got the instruction sheet that came with the CPU, read it on the manufacturer's website.
    If the CPU doesn't drop into the socket, no fuss, something's wrong.
    Don't use acetone after isopropyl - not needed - and, in any case, the cleaning process is no big deal BUT I wouldn't treat using anti-electrostatic build-up IN YOU too lightly.
    As for the old mobo, I'm amazed it worked with any semblance of normality with 2 screws missing.
    Good luck!

5. Ariesjill

OMG!!! Those two missing screws are SIGNIFICANT??????? but the mobo seemed very secure!

OK....GO! I need sleep and just found terrifying page re installing Pent D chip.....first I gott get the old one out.....OMG that is so hilarious!!!!!!

I need an automatic weapon to smuggle on the plane to texas, OK? to VISIT THIS VENDOR.

6. Ariesjill

I am about to fall out....but I tried so hard to find removal/replacement on Intel for my chip....the Pentium D Presler 945 SL9QB....says this right on it.

I am a wreck, so maybe that's why I can not find it. Plus, I thought removal would be OBVIOUS! Maybe it was looking up at me wild with maniacal laughter....and it is afriad to be obvious about how it leaves the original mobo. And who....could blame the little thing?? It feels safe in its mommyboard!

Here is my chip:
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SL9QB

Am in desperate need of sleep and will not touch the chip or either board now side by side....until sane and savvy humans gift me with more info.

I still can not understand how the two missing screws....cept one was rolling around the tower....could have messed up this mobo!

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

8. Ariesjill

O thank U, W2K....if I can get some sleep I will maybe get all this done....and thanks also for shedding some light on the missing screw issue.
    Edit; O this is so WONDERFUL! Only saw the beginning cause I am spent....but this is a miracle, this video! OK the gloves a little confusing....but freeing the hook lever from under its lip is so obvious. I think this contriubtion should win something. Now, I think I can sleep. bless U.

9. Ariesjill

Worst day of the year to be doing this....but I am doing this.

With slept brain & no wine at the party I left to do this.. I watched the amazing video from Intell, my socket-specific. Merry Christmas to ME, BOY! W2K=SANTA.:eek:

Here are my new questions:

1) I do not have any gloves of the sort depicted in the video. My feeling is the PURPOSE of those might be to preclude any human hand oils from getting on any part of the chip. If this is right, only option I have is to wash my hands thorougly to get rid of those, and then even use alcohol on fingers after. This is my plan now.

This startin 2 feel like a human organ transplant, for God's sake!

2) I can't wait to do the inspection.....to C if visible damge to the chip and pins is there. God, I hope not.

3) My heatskink entirely different from the one pictured. Mine can not be set squarely and level on top of the chip and then simply secured down by screws....mine kinda slips into a bracket secured to the mobo with two screws....which I hadda remove to pull the board. ...and fits into the actual fan assemblybehind it. I now fear movement between the copper plate under the heatsink and the chip top it must make perfect contact with reinstalling this unit....yes, I know the thermal paste's purpose is to potentiate this contact 4 maxium heat dissipation.

4) I do not know if I should apply the thermal paste to just the chiptop or just the copper plate bottom of heatsink....or both. I know a minimum, but enuff to do the job evenly is the goal

5) I am still confused re the black plastic/nylon cover on the new mobo's metal chip cover saying "Attention! Please restore this cover to old system board." A pic of this on the "new" mobo is above; it is right-most pic, #144.

I am not gettin if that refers to the actual black thingy bearing the paper label saying this....or the metal cover under it.

I feel bad I don't know these things and can't figure them out on my own....but how can i know things I do not yet know? and this part of the repair is so much more dicy and delicate than I imagined....and must be done perfectly I see....no wiggle room at all.

I am deeply grateful for the help in this....I couldn't have even gotten this far without this....I am truly moved by this kindness.

PS....Narrator guy in Intel video...amazing voice and lovely high end British accent....and how cute, to calm U down they have soothing music track!

10. Ariesjill

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1216867&fr=

just found Yahoo video re Arctic silver 5. this guy suggests U apply the less is more amount to both the heatsink and the chip top. So I think that is wut I will do.

Also confirms wut I was told to get was dead on accurate re the actual silver conducting heat so well.

no acetone....though I have commercial kind I use as solvent for laquer...not simply nail polish remover which has oils and parfum; isopropryl just fine....I just got new bottle just for this.

Visualsl! One vertical line of the product....and OMG! using coffee filter to spread!!!!

Next precious nugget: most important to cover the core....less important to cover the margins of top.

Next Yahoo vid mitigating fact: put the thermal paste only on the chip.

Also stunning.....this takes maybe 200 hours of use to become fully functional! Who knew this was so dense???????

Yes, hand oils=enemy...PDF says....also flakes of skin! I just used VERY FINE SAND PAPER ON MY FINGERTIPS. They din EVEN DO THIS in Ocean's 11,12, 13-17.:cool:

I doubt if whoever installed this originally....maybe even Dell in this--- used Arctic Silver 5. If the sleazoid refurbisher/vendor....then, probably toothpaste:(. We shall see. At least I hope we shall.

My greatest terror....I work hard to get all this right....I power on the system and it is still dead except for gut-wrenching intermitent buzzes.Final thing: now that original board is out.....I looked more carefully than ever at the caps. I still see nothing amiss. I was hoping I would....confirming the issue was fried board and not you know wut.

11. Ariesjill

I know this is insane....but posting progress makes me feel bettah...I am pretending I have herd of angles overseeing this remotely.

Nevah in my life have I been so cautious about doing anything.....plus nevah in my life have my fingers been as clean.:D

I just pulled and install the chip in the new mobo. Objectively, tis was a n brainer.....but nothing frought with this kinda pressure....first time is anything but OMG!!!!!!

Not that I would know, but the gold conectors under the chip lok just lovely to me.....but I have zero trust in myself right now so I just gotta do my best.

Now I do the paste and try to put the heatsink unit back properly....and note: recleaning the copper plate I see clearly it has couplee of nicks... but toward the outer perimeter.....how they got there I have no clue but am sure the sleazoid vendor in texas did it cause even Global Warming is their doing, OK? U think it is accident that SHRUB made TEXAS HIS HOME????;)

Do the math.:rolleyes:

Now everyone(my imagined angels) pray.....like my little mess isn't at the utmost bottom of the worldwide mess barrel.....
    Edit: I am now conused by the PDF document (link above) I printed out. It show one narrow line of thermal paste on the heat spreader in precise direction. It nowhere says spread the paste but implies the heatsink contact will do this! I do not see how that is possible, OK?

Orignally this had white paste all over it....I think, 2 much.

OK I will Google more and see if I can find additional info. but first I will screw in the new mobo....which is now in place in the box.....I blew out earlier with compressed aire.

I am not luving this....but do luv I am at least doing it. Feel like terrified, moronic, pathetic human.....hardly my usual reality. this is very humbling endavor. that is good.

12. Ariesjill

O! another precious liink to some thread!!!

http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-166440.html

Within the above is link to aother video Ihaven't seen yet. Just learned two new things:

1) single edge blade for spreading! I have like 90 of those....got 100 for no money on ebay.

2) Also says do apply some to heatsink but then wipe off. I feel this is right.
    I know everyone who may B reading this ---or might---is yawning.....cause everyone else has done this a gazillion times. But everyone also had a first time, yes?

3) I found the rolling around screw I finally removed from the case...I did save it it seems....so now my mobo will only b missing one screw. No! I found a couple in one of my screw bins! I can do ALL OF THEM!

Soon I will win the gold plateed, pot metal mobo for most boring tech post in this century.

OK, the link within the link to the good thread pasted above....does not work....but good ole reliable YouTube...produced another goody.....guy with at least sexy voice and good visuals....cept he does it wiht CPU out....I seated it as fast as I could safely to preserve the pins. then he puts the Arctic manically....and 2 much....uses CC to spread (Re Lobster). But I am learning every minute fro all this and still plant to use sngle edge blade and will do little more than one line but not much more.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFjh2Hkfj74

Maybe all these links might comprise somethng worthy to someone even more newbie in this than I (if that person exists)...but all this indigenous to my 775 socket and my P-D Presler chip....but not completely.

From the youtube vid....it also looks as if Arctic Silver 5 is transparent! Like I pictured in my head! aAso why the zinc oxide I discovered when took everythng apart....stunned me.

I will see 4 myself in a few mins.

Is tis like a reality show? (Yeah, right.)

13. Ariesjill

Just installed the mobo, heatsink shroud brace....did THERMAL PASTE....lovely deep gray....not transluscent....hope I din use 2 much, did both surfaces but as with putty knife plastering....used sgle edge blade.

Now install the ram sticks....I only hope aren't bad....rehook all cables,...HDDs, reinstall PSU.... and pray....I am trying to expect the worst but hoping for the best. Also disconnected all phones.

14. Ariesjill

For anyone following....I am starting new thread titled NOT AT ALL GOOD

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

Applying Thermal Interface Compound (TIC) or Thermal Interface Material (TIM) (TIM = Thermal Pad) need not be an elaborate procedure. You are only installing a processor, not building a nuclear reactor.

When a person purchases a boxed Intel processor that comes with the TIM pre-applied you simply set the cooler on the processor, and the clamping action of clamping the heatsink to the board will spread the TIM whether it be a socket 478 or socket 775 processor.

When you are re-installing a processor that originally came with attached TIM you simply clean the bottom of the heatsink and processor heatspreader with Isopropyl Alcohol, Denatured Alcohol, Acetone or Zylene unit both mating surfaces are clean. Personally, I use denatured alcohol, but have used Isopopyl Alcohol, Acetone and Zylene.

After the heatsink and heatspreader are clean I use the Intel TIC in the pre-measured syringe (Dow-Corning TC-1996). Empty the entire syringe onto the center of the processor heatspreader, attached the cooler and clamp it down. The Intel pre-filled syringe has exactly .1Ml. of TC-1996.

Attached is a pic of one of my own socket 478 northwood cored processors that I recently re-installed. The amount of TIC shown in the pic is the exact amount supplied in the Intel pre-filled syringe. I do not spread the TIC at all, I just allow the the clamping action of the heatsink to the board to do the spreading. This particular processor is running very happily this morning at 39C.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice