Solved: migrating Outlook Express on W2k to client on W7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

etaf

Wayne
I have a task to transfer all the emails and contacts from a W2K Pc using outlook express onto a new Windows 7 PC

i have not done a transfer with W2K and in the past I have loaded thunderbird onto the PC and then transferred using a thunderbird backup program
Not sure thunderbird will run on W2k - so not sure of the best way to do this transfer

any suggestions on best way to do this - i'm doing it tomorrow 14:00 UK BST time

EDIT
Update info found/supplied by another forum so far

So it would appear that Version 13 of thunderbird does not support W2K - and so i have found the old versions and downloaded V12
I hope to install that on the W2K machine and then startup and hopefully get prompted to import from OE (and that they only have 1 profile)

then use mozbackup to create a back up - take to the W7 PC and restore

Thats worked for me quite a few times now - but on XP PCs and with outlook , never tried with OE or W2K

and install the latest v17 of thundervird onto the W7 PC

just not sure if

mozbackup works on W2K and also if it will support creating a backup on V12 and then will it restore on the W7 PC to a V17 of thunderbird

the client is expecting a lot - so i cant take any chances , as i have been recommended to them and will be paid for my time

TerryNet

Terry
I really have no clue, but if your plan doesn't work maybe you can copy the contacts file (.wab I think) and the message file(s) to Windows 7 and import into Thunderbird or whatever client will be used there.

Or use OE to export (assuming it can do that) the contacts and messages to something recognizable by the rest of the world.

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
I really have no clue, but if your plan doesn't work maybe you can copy the contacts file (.wab I think) and the message file(s) to Windows 7 and import into Thunderbird or whatever client will be used there.

Or use OE to export (assuming it can do that) the contacts and messages to something recognizable by the rest of the world.
Nope. You can't copy the WAB to win 7. TB looks in the C:\Docs and Settings\username\Appdata\Microsoft\Address Book folder for the OE AB and that doesn't exist on win7.
Best, assuming the client doesn't have a folder structure and lists he wants, is Export OE to CSV and then Import to TB. Plan on spending some time mapping the fields on Import.

E-mails can be drag and dropped as EML's and transferred to the new machine. Newer versions of TB allow drag and drop of EML's to populate the mail folders just as OE does.

Absolute best way is to install an old version of TB on the win2K and Import everything directly from OE.
But, just so you know, you still won't get any OE folder structure or mailing lists in the AB doing an Import. All contacts dump in to one big AB named Outlook Express Address Book.
Don't bother with Mozbackup, just copy the Profile and clone it to the Win 7 install using Copy so you retain the original as a backup. (that's all mozbackup is anyway, a glorified zip file of the Profile).

I wouldn't jump more than 3 or 4 versions at a time on the win 7. If you start with TB10 on win2k, go to TB13 then to TB17 on win 7. Be sure to go right into the Options>Advanced>Update and turn it off or it will just jump straight to the newest version.

You can grab any installers from OldApps. http://www.oldapps.com/thunderbird.php. Looks like TB12 was the last version that would run on win2k.

etaf

Wayne
thanks for the excellenjt advice - I was planning on using V12 on the W2K - but will change to use V10 and then TB13 on W7 - I would have gone straight to V17 on W7

E-mails can be drag and dropped as EML's and transferred to the new machine. Newer versions of TB allow drag and drop of EML's to populate the mail folders just as OE does.
not sure how I would do this, But as you say ,
Absolute best way is to install an old version of TB on the win2K and Import everything directly from OE.
which is how I have been successful in the past - so will do the stepped version method

Don't bother with Mozbackup, just copy the Profile and clone it to the Win 7 install using Copy so you retain the original as a backup. (that's all mozbackup is anyway, a glorified zip file of the Profile).
i did not know that, and very useful as I do regular mozbackup of thunderbird and so I could just copy the profile - that would save a lot of time

thanks for all the help and support

etaf

Wayne
well, that went very very slowly

Put V10 onto the W2K PC
they had 4 identities in outlook express
copied one and only the folders came across
so tried another identity and most of that came across - but some folders blank
also one identity setup as gmail imap - so was no need to copy that , as imap should sync on the new machine

eventually turned out to be disk space was very low and was not getting any error messages , cleared a lot of tmp files and folders and having freed up a lot of space and then run the three identities - which took ages
backed up with mozbackup and copied to new PC

excellent all copied - but also the old empty folders - so needed to remove all the identities - rename the folders and delete the folders copy that had empty contents

so then setup message rules for the incoming email to handle his wifes account, and needed a password - he went off to discuss , and she came back to tell us she does not use the PCs - just using on here phone and webmail, and does not need any of the old emails at all - could have saved an hour or more on the process had we known that ...........

so deleted all the other accounts

Only issues I have left - and would like some advice

we now have about 6 entries for every contact - probably due to the import of outlook a few times with empty folders before identifying the disk space issue

so any advice on how to remove all the duplicates address please

thanks again for all support and the advice

the process was
V10 on W2K - import from all the identities from OEV6
backup using mozbackup ( i tried the profile copy at home before hand and crashed thunderbird , and had to do a PC restore - so was not sure what i haddone wrong)

put V13 on the W7 PC
restored the mozbackup

cleaned up the accounts and files
job almost complete

because it was late- forgot to update to V17 opps - so will do that next visit as, he asked me to come back and do some further work , on a website and domain :) :)

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
throoper, doesn't WML import CSV files?

throoper

etaf: Be aware with Duplicate Contact manager that it can grind to a halt when there are large numbers of contacts.
How on earth did you wind up with that many duplicates? Each time you Import, it should go in as a separate AB in the TB address book.
By chance did each OE identity have the same contacts? I know a lot of people just can't leave them in the "Shared contacts" folder and insist on copying them into folders in their own identity.

If that's the case and you only need contacts from 1 or 2 OE Identities, you could always delete the other Identities with the duplicates and reimport them into TB. Then grab the MAB files and swap them out in the new install.

etaf

Wayne
thanks for the reply, i cant do anything with the old PC - it was taking hours and the client wont accept that amount of time again .....
I exported the contacts as a csv file as a backup - and i could recheck that again , and redo the csv file
delete all the contacts in thunderbird, and then import using the CSV - maybe a good alternative

I suspect it was all the identities copied across more than once (as a couple of times all the emails did not transfer into the folders - due to the disk space issue - I guess that brought in all the duplicates contacts each time, and I should probably have removed all the imports and started again, but had been at it 3hours - such a slow PC anyway

Currently as you type an email address in to the TO: it is taking ages, I suspect as its going through all the contacts - probably 1800 now ( as each contact appears about 6 times)

I guess if i output to csv, i could remove duplicates in excel and save and then re-import , maybe much quicker

The version suggestions was very useful thanks.

Next step also to set-up lightening calendar to work with his iphone , as he is currently using outlook calendar on the PC to sync with iphone calendar and it would be good to make that redundant and have all in thunderbird. Seen a few tutorials and that looks straightforward, although not intuitive

throoper

I think the quickest would be editing the original CSV from OE. You should be able to sort the Email Address column (expanding the field to include data in all other columns) to group the addresses together.
That way you won't also be removing multiple addresses that go with the same name, which is one of the problems with Duplicate Contact Remover which sorts only by name.

You can Import the finished CSV to check it before deleting the other AB's as each Import will create a separate AB (the contacts won't "Merge" with another AB).
I don't know how many AB's you wound up with in the left pane of the Address book window, but deleting them should also remove the MAB file for it in the Profile.
When you get down to just the PersonalAB, Collected AB and the Import you want to use, you can get the Import to display in the PAB by (with TB closed) deleting the abook.mab in the Profile and renaming the impab.mab to abook.mab.
I mention that because a lot of people are funny about using the PAB. It seems to bug them no end if the PAB is empty and they have to click on another AB.

etaf

Wayne
thanks for all the support and advice
migration now complete and a clean address book , thanks throoper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online