1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Minor Problem -- Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Rob Roy, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rob Roy

Rob Roy Thread Starter

:) Hi. Just bought an emachine with windows vista. I'm really happy with it [compared with my windows 98 antique with a floppy drive], but man has technology advanced!

There's just a minor problem -- the windows updates. Landline challenged here.

Is there some way that I could go to the library, load the updates in a flash drive, and then use the flash drive to update my emachine? I have no experience with flash drives. Just curious.

Thank you and enjoying this new machine!

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Is your Emachine connected to the internet ? I think it is possible to download the installations for updates to a flash drive. With a flash drive, all you have to do is plug it into a usb port, wait for Windows to find it, then you can acsess it from my computer.

3. Rob Roy

Rob Roy Thread Starter

:eek: I could walk over to a PC at the library, load the updates on the flash drive, then plug it into my own PC later?

I do have a landline connection. It's just so darn slow cramming all that data through that way.

-- Thank you for your time. I'll check back later in the day

-- Regards ....

4. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Kind of :D You can get the updates installers at the library, then install them on your home computer. If you have a landline it will not be slow to retrieve them as the updater for Windows uses BITS, which stands for Background Information Transfer Service. It means it will download the update while your internet connection is idle. Windows will either use BITS or it will download them like any other download, while your internet connection is being used, but the updates are small, most of them about two megabytes, so you will not notice a slow down.

5. Rob Roy

Rob Roy Thread Starter

Thank you for the in-depth. I thought my browser was crashing from updates. So there's something else. The browser only works in early mornings. Right now I'm using my trusty windows 98 antique.

Maybe I've been online too much anyway. =]

6. Rob Roy

Rob Roy Thread Starter

Well, the browser froze early this morning. I turned off the windows updates [oh was my emachine mad about that!], and now I can zip along easily. [Shrug]

7. Rob Roy

Rob Roy Thread Starter

[big grin] Finally current on windows updates. Took about 20 hours online though. Had to keep logging back online. But it's current now. I just hope there aren't too many updates in the future.

Thank you again.

8. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

No problems, glad it worked for you :D

9. Rob Roy

Rob Roy Thread Starter

It tried to push another update on me the next morning. I can't keep spending hours every day with updates. I had to turn off updates AND protection mode in order to navigate. :confused:

How often will I get smacked with updates?:mad:

[Calming down. Thanks for putting up with me. I'll be back later.]

10. Rob Roy

Rob Roy Thread Starter

Went current on updates quickly enough yesterday. But something in windows vista is harshing my emachine's browser.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice