1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing 2 partitions on hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by toddsyr, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

When I setup my Win 98 SE system, I divided my Maxtor 120 Gig drive into 4 partitions. All was well with this for a couple of months. Now only 2 of them show up in the My Computer folder. I can't locate them. Drive C uses approx. 24 gigs, drive D uses approx. 29 gigs. Any help is deeply appreciated, Todd.

2. rugrat

rugrat

Do you have more than one cd rom or dvd etc...? WIN98 had problems seeing drive letters beyond E. You can try,
    Go to start, run and type sysedit, In your config.sys file
    Add the line "lastdrive=z" without quotes.
    This will allow windows to see drives beyond letter E.

Let us know

3. rugrat

rugrat

P.S. Then reboot

4. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

Did as you said, under sysedit, no change. I have a CD rom, Winzip 100, cdburner, and the floppy drives. As I said, it was fine for a couple of months, until now. Partitions C and D are fine at the moment. I have a set of Partition Magic bootable floppies, but have no idea what to do with them. I only used PM once, to setup partitions, so know almost nothing about it. Todd.

5. rugrat

rugrat

Based on the drives, you should have C, D, E, F, G & H along with A for the floppy (B is reserved for a second floppy). I am not sure why you are not seeing them. You could try shutting down, remove the power and ribbon cable connections from the cd reader and burner. Then reboot, if the drives show up, add one cd back at a time by reconnecting the cables between reboots and see if windows assigns drive letters. Other than that, I am stumped.

Let us know

6. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

C, D, E, F, G & H along with A are the exact drive letters I used to have. Unhooked the reader and burner as instructed, still the same. I'm stumped too. Thanks for trying though, highly appreciated. One consolation, one of the 2 missing drives was empty, the other had stuff that isn't much of a big deal to lose. Todd.

7. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

p.s. I have an old friend who now lives in West Webster. I try and visit once a week. I'm in the Syracuse area and just noticed you're in Henrietta. Todd.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can try booting from this partition repair floppy (or CD). Follow the enclosed directions. Have it search your drives for lost or damaged partition tables:
    Partition Repair:

[​IMG] <--(Bootable floppy image)[​IMG] <--(Bootable CD image)

Boot from the PM floppies, too. Even if you do nothing with them, just click in the menus for information about your drives and partitions. If PM finds any errors, it will tell you and offer to repair the ones it can, even without your actually changing anything with the program itself. Just click the "i" for information.

If you have any tweakers installed, be sure you haven't hidden any drive letters from yourself.

9. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Elvandil. I hafta head out for a couple hours, will try those as soon as I get back. Don't know about any tweakers, how do I see if any drive letters are hidden? Appreciate the help, Todd.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sometimes, the hidden ones show up in Explorer, even though they are not in the My Computer window.

Look in Device Manager, too. Under your disk drives, is there any volume information about your partitions in the properties?

11. toddsyr

toddsyr Thread Starter

I tried the Partition Repair tool. I lost everything. My bad. Nothing beats a fresh box anyhow, right? Anyhow, that's why it took me a few days to get back to here. Took my time, did it right. Also thanks for the tip: "Go to start, run and type sysedit, In your config.sys file
    Add the line "lastdrive=z" without quotes.
    This will allow windows to see drives beyond letter E."
    I did that at the earliest stage I could after formatting and partitioning this time around. This should prevent the problem from happening again I figure. Appreciate all the help, thanks, Todd.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!