1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing Administrator

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bill_Q, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bill_Q

Bill_Q Thread Starter

Greetings:
    I hope some one will be kind enough to help me sort a small but annoying problem.
    I have been given an Acer 5051 laptop running "Vista" Basic and have set it up from basic delivery configuration. When setting up the Administrator settings with the inbuilt touchpad I was able to name it as "Administrator", but somehow hit something around the touchpad that caused the password setup dialogue to be bypassed. When I tried to re-enter "Administrator" again to set a password, I had a reply "not valid, there is already an account with that name...... ", but this account has no password assigned and does not show up anywhere! In the end I had to enter "Administrator1" and assign a password to get admin rights.

I have had a look at the registry entries for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities" and note that there are four (4) "REG_SZ" entries, but only three (3) "REG_DWORD" entries.

What I would like to know is - is there an entry here I can delete to remove the original (password free) "Administrator", thus allowing me to rename "Administrator1" to "Administrator" and possibly avoiding future confusion? Unfortunately I cannot seem to copy/paste this particular screen (not surprising) but have made a screenshot of it. If it would be of any use I could email it as a Word attachment.

Ideas anyone?

PS: Sorry everyone, just realised this has been posted to the wrong forum and I can't delete or move. To be re-posted to Vista forum.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you boot into safe mode? I think you may find your missing Administrator account there. :)

3. Bill_Q

Bill_Q Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, John. I booted into Safe Mode as you suggested, but the only place I was able to sight the original Administrator account was when I went to "Repair your Computer" when the sign-in showed both Administrator accounts. However, when I selected "Administrator" I got a return of "Your account has been disabled". Do you have any suggestions for re-enabling it?
    I might note that this is the Home Basic version of Vista, which appears to have a number of restrictions as to what you can do with it, even as an administrator!

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. Bill_Q

Bill_Q Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, Squashman, very interesting article and it's now crystal as to why I'm (apparently) having problems! While I can certainly understand MS philosophy, some of us were actually aware of the dangers of "living in" the Administrator environment. But on balance I guess they've probably got it reasonably right. Anyway, as it happens, Vista Basic doesn't allow you to access the "real" Administrator account, it stops you dead at "double-click Local Users and Groups"! There aren't any! So that's me sorted then.
    I guess I learned something today. Thanks to both of you for your help. Cheers.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!