1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing "Advanced Settings" in Folder Options

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TSGAB, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TSGAB

TSGAB Thread Starter

Hi - I've trawled all over the Web looking for an answer to this with no luck so hoping you guys can help.

When I open "Folder Options" on the "Tools" menu, then select the "View" tab, the "Advanced Settings" box is empty -

[​IMG]

I haven't got a clue how this happened and haven't had / got any viruses (I ran a couple of scanners).

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    O/S - Vista SP1

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you used a registry cleaner or "system optimizer" or any other tool that claims to speed up or repair your computer?

3. TSGAB

TSGAB Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil - No I've not used any of those. Are you suggesting those may have caused the problem, or that those may fix the problem?

My guess is that some Registry Key just needs alterning but haven't a clue which. Thanks.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The cause. I guess I should be more explicit. Another guy ran out and used all those things after I asked that question. :D

How about System Restore to a point before the problem?

There is an option, right after you run SR, to "undo" the restore, so if it does not solve the problem, or causes some other problem you don't like, you can easily get back where you started.

5. TSGAB

TSGAB Thread Starter

Good idea but I first noticed it some time ago and have been looking for answer on the Web intermittently since, so I wouldn’t know which version to go back to and may no longer have a version that would fix it.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's worth a try. It's reversible.

Attached: The probable registry key to fix. Unzip, right-click > Merge.

Attached Files:

7. TSGAB

TSGAB Thread Starter

Fantastic! The Reg Fix worked.

Looks like my Registry was missing the key - [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden]

Thanks very much Elvandil, I really appreciate the time you took to help. Cheers!

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. In exchange, please stay away from registry cleaners, and preach that gospel to any heathens that may be considering it. :D

The ads make them sound oh so good. "...for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat."

9. TSGAB

TSGAB Thread Starter

No problem. I've always been wary of Registry Cleaners so will continue to preach the gospel :)

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL.[​IMG]

You should be wary of any cure-all snake-oil. People are funny. If a mechanic told them he had some fuel additive that could fix all problems, even ones no one knew about, they would know he was a crook. But someone selling "fixers", '"Optimizers", "speed boosters", and all that for computers gets them all the time. It would really seem that Microsoft would have a vested interest in making a machine as fast as possible, without compromizing functionality, as they could. And they would be the ones to know how to do it.

Not all "tweaks" are bad nor all tweakers liars. But most of them don't do a thing, or cause a problem. You really need to do some research before using them.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!