1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing Codecs, No Sound With Video, No Bootup With Video

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by HowdeeDoodee, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HowdeeDoodee

HowdeeDoodee Thread Starter

I can run either RealPlayer or Windows Media Player on my Windows XP Home system.

Issue 1
    I tried to play a commercially produced DVD movie and I got an error message saying "missing codecs" when I tried to boot up the commercially produced movie right out of the box. The error message did not tell me which codec was missing.

Issue 2
    I then inserted a DVD burnt by a friend from a video tape and I could see the video but I got no sound when trying to use RealPlayer. DVD plays normally on another computer and plays normally on a standard DVD player.

I am posting two issues in this original post because I suspect they are both related to the missing codec issue.

Can someone give me suggestions on how and where to start the troubleshooting process?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. Peepo

Peepo

Was the DVD purchased the correct region for your country?
    Is the DVD player on the correct region or multi region?

I would firstly recommend installing a codec pack. I always use KLite.
    I usually uncheck the option to install media player classic as I dont need it from this pack but thats up to you.

You can get it here http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Hope this helps.

3. HowdeeDoodee

HowdeeDoodee Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. I downloaded ac3config.exe and the associated files. Did the install, and everything seeems to be working properly...for now. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice