Solved: Missing/corrupt: C:\windows\system32\ntfs.sys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

almightybob7

I restarted my computer today and right after it started booting from my C: drive, an error came up that said something like "Windows cannot find the file C:\windows\system32\ntfs.sys because it is missing or corrupted." It suggests that I use the recovery disk to fix it, but I don't have the recovery disk, so I'm kind of in trouble. Luckily, I had some Linux LiveCDs laying around, so I used one to boot up my system.I think that this might have something to do with me trying to change my boot screen, but I didn't mess with that particular file, so I'm not sure. Also, I haven't done anything to the RAM lately. I have Windows XP Professional SP2, and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to what I should do.

awalker0878

Removed by request
boot into recovery console from setup cd and type:
expand d:\i386\ntfs_sy_ C:\windows\system32\ntfs.sys

if that is the file and location you say is corrupt this should fix the problem

almightybob7

thanks for the quick response, but I don't have the setup CD Is there anywhere I can download a copy of the recovery console and burn it onto a cd?

almightybob7

Anybody? If possible, I need an answer quickly because I have to leave over this weekend, and I want to fix it before I leave.

almightybob7

I found out how on Microsoft.com, on one of the knowledgebase articles I think. I can't remember right now what the exact URL was, but when I find out ill post it on here. Sorry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online