[Solved] missing file error at boot up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

StepsInSC

Recently I lost my HD so I have this new one I got up and running yesterday. Anyways I'm getting a DOS error message before the desktop boots up...actually I'm getting 3 of them in a row. All of them state that they Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Window application. The files it then lists are:
vnetsup.vxd
vredir.vxd
dfs.vxd

It also says they are required by something that is being used in my System.ini file.

Then...right when the desktop loads up, I get an error box saying "Unable to load the dynamic link library: msnp32.dll". It also says "Some or all of the following feature is not available: Microsoft Network"

I don't know which app in my system.ini is causing this, and I don't remember it happening right after I installed drivers for one device b/c I was installing so many things at the time. Any help figuring out what these things are and how I can fix this/get rid of it would be a help.

StepsInSC
Ran across this exact message yesterday on a friends machine.
If you do a search on all three files you probably will find the three listed within an AOL folder and none within the C:\windows\system folder. To cure this you must extract original copies of them from your Win CD and place them in the c:\windows\system folder. Note all three are used for networking.
Dave

You may also be able to resolve that by removing and reinstalling Client For Microsoft Networks through the Control Panel Network applet. If you are not networking, it might not be necessary to reinstall it. But if you do, you will need your Windows CD or to point to c:\windows\options\cabs (if you have cab files on the HD) when prompted for a disk.

StepsInSC

Thanks for the info, I took care of the first 3. But any ideas on the other one? The one I'm getting an dialogue box from?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online