1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Missing File - Message still popping up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Rhapsody, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

HELLO - - -

every time i log onto windows i get a pop up box that has this message in it:

WINDOWS NETWORKING

unable to load dynamic link library

MSNP32.dll

the system cannot find specified
    some or all of the following features is not available

MICROSOFT NETWORKING

i have gone to dll-files.com and downloaded the missing file and i when i log onto Windows (98se) i still get the same message. what did i do wrong? what should i be doing? could it be a case of downloading the file into the wrong place or file??????

i await any and all help that is out there.......

THX,
    Rhapsody :D

2. iq454

iq454

You may need the installation cd for this.

Right click "NetworkNeighborhood" on your desktop and click "Properties", highlight "Client For Microsoft Networks" and uninstall it, then click "install", highlight "clients" and open or add, and then find "Client For Microsoft Networks", install, then it should ask for your win98 cd, just put it in your cd or dvd drive and restart PC.

3. iq454

iq454

Oh, and you know that that MSNP32.dll file goes in the windows system folder? And make sure it's 80kB as well, otherwise you might have another version of it.

4. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

OK - - -
    just want to verify that when you say: then find "Client for Microsoft Networks"

that you are meaning that i will have to locate it off the cd? if this is not correct where will i find it at?

THX,
    Rhapsody

5. iq454

iq454

when you highlight clients and open it, it will then take you to another screen to choose it, you'll see, just follow the instructions.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The simple solution "Right click "NetworkNeighborhood" on your desktop and click "Properties", highlight "Client For Microsoft Networks" and uninstall it, then click "install", highlight "clients" and open or add, and then find "Client For Microsoft Networks", install, then it should ask for your win98 cd, just put it in your cd or dvd drive and restart PC" does not really do anyting.

No files are ever replaced or copied. Also you are never prompted for the source files. Just give it a try.

For example, I tried renaming the file MSNP32.dll. After uninstalling and reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks as suggested, the files is still missing.

You can either:

1. Extract the DLL file to the \windows\system directory or

2. Completely remove all the networking components (Client, Adapter and Protocol) and reboot. This will actually reinstall all the networking files which will include the missing one.

7. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

OK - - -

THANKS to ALL that helped - problem solved!!!!! Now i can enjoy :)

Rhapsody

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad you got it working. What where the steps you used to get the files back again.

9. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

i could not get the comp to act right - Soooooo i went to dll-files.com and downloaded the file from there.............

THX,
    Rhapsody

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So you never actually tried any of the suggestions given?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!