1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing Folder in My Documents - Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ngk0585, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ngk0585

ngk0585 Thread Starter

Problem I've not seen. I have a folder I use to collect files for a program. It is subordinate to My Documents. Three days ago it disappeared. It is not, however gone! I can put the path into the address line of Explorer (the files version - not the browser) and it magically appears. Also I can search and find all the files/folders in that folder individually by name with 'search'. I've set cursor on My Documents and opened >Tools>Folder Options>View and checked "Show hidden files folders and drives". I've tried this at various levels as well. I also ran a batch attrib e.g.:

@echo off
    Echo This script will unhide all files in the current folder and all subfolders.
    Echo If there are a lot of files, it may take some time to complete.
    Attrib -H /S /D
    echo Unhide Complete
    pause

This obviously ran for a few minutes from C:\

Wierd. I can get to the files, but the folder does not show up under My Documents as it should. I've tried to recreate the folder directly subordinate to My Documents, and get a warning that the folder already exists.
    This is not a total loss since I can get to the folder, but would be nice to simply open My Documents, scroll down and find it.
    Thanks

2. 87654321

3. ngk0585

ngk0585 Thread Starter

Thanks but I have system 7. Link is for system 8 and I don't have touch screen so won't be going there.

4. Richardcec

Richardcec

Sorry about that, I suggest you run a search again, locate the file, right click, cut and save to a different location; more preferably 'Desktop'. Hope it helps.

5. 87654321

6. ngk0585

ngk0585 Thread Starter

I gave up and copied files into new folder in My Documents. Wast of time to troubleshoot this is - it is not pervasive. Thanks for the helps. - Bill

7. ngk0585

ngk0585 Thread Starter

It magically came back - go figure.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice