1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing free space in Hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by photosymth.com, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. photosymth.com

photosymth.com Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have two hard disks in my computer. one is a 40gb and other 160gb.
    the 40gb HDD has been partitioned into two @roughly 20Gb each, with xp installed on one of them.

I'm running windows XP sp3 which is installed in the C:\ drive(roughly 20Gb). The problem tat i face is that windows reports the free size to be only 988mb.

When i check into the file properties of all the files it reports to be around 5GB, i have no idea where the remaning 15gb is gone.

Here's a list of things that i have done:

1. Enabled to show hidden operating system files
    2. Cleared temp files using CCleaner.
    3. Tried chkdsk /r option.
    4. Turned off system restore.
    5. Tried lots of disk reporting softwares. (which also couldn't find the missing space).

I've attached some screenshots which will be helpful.
    Still I'am not able to find out the exact reason for this prob.
    Plz suggest

Attached Files:

2. helpful

helpful

3. photosymth.com

@helpful
    thank you so much for ur concern man(y)..

Most of the disk viewing software dint report the problem.

When i tried to open the system volume information folder it gave a access denied error.
    So i had to chance the user permissions and open it.
    When i opened it i was surprised to see a folder named "_restore" eating nearly 13gigs. I just mercilessly deleted tat folder wit some help from unlocker as certain files were said to be in use.

To my horror, all my partitions had that folder but were not eating that much space as compared to the main partition.

I had turned off system restore a long long time ago, but dono y windows kept those files.

Anyways i got my free space back (y)

Attached Files:

4. raybro

raybro

Take a look using Treesize. Its a free download and will show you just where all the space on the drive is allocated.

Raybro

5. helpful

helpful

Glad you were able to figure the problem out, I am sure others will have this problem (including myself) thanks for sharing the solution.

6. photosymth.com

All the monitoring softwares (including treeview) reported the folder size to be a
    BIG ZERO :confused:.

Actually the problem seems to exist in windows file permissions. When a user does not have permission to a specific folder, windows simply displays its size to be 0 bytes :eek:.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!