1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing hard drive space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RRR0001, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RRR0001

RRR0001 Thread Starter

Ok, so here’s my problem. I just bought a new laptop which has a 750 GB hard disk. I wanted to partition it and everything went well (...aparently). I made a primary disk partition of 40 GB which I set to active and an extended disk partition using the rest of available space. Then, on the extended partition I created 2 logical drives (one of 200 GB and the other of 500 GB). Everything was all right until I tried to install windows, which didn’t work. I thought that maybe I didn’t do the partition correctly (it’s the first time I do it), so I deleted all the partitions and started all over, but the problem is that now, when I use fdisk , it doesn’t show me all the available disk space, but only 4 GB. Can someone give me some instruction about how to recover my disk space? It would be much appreciated. I believe that when I deleted the partitions, I didn’t do it correctly. I should have deleted the non-msdos partition first, I suppose, thing which I didn’t do, because I didn’t know I had to...

I should also specify that I can't install windows because an error appears after the files are copied. It is the blue screen windows error...

2. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

If you have another computer, download and burn a copy of dban to CD. Boot off that and follow the instructions on screen - it will delete everything and allow you to partition again.

As for your windows error, we will have to sort that once you've partitioned everything properly. What are you trying to do by partitioning 40 / 200 / 500?

3. RRR0001

RRR0001 Thread Starter

I will try dban then. As for the operating system, I think I've figured out what's the problem. I was trying to install Windows XP on a HP Pavilion G6 and this OS isn't compatible with this type of laptop. From what I gathered, I have to install Win 8 on it, so I will try to do that and see what I can do. :) Anyway, thanks a lot for your suggestion! I will try using dban and install win 8 as soon as I get my hands on it and I'll let you know if I encounter more problems. :)

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Also, 40+200+500 = 740GB, I doubt your drive is really that large...

When you consider the conversion from the MFG 1,000 to the OS's 1,024... you should have more like 700GB of actual useable space.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I think that using dban or anything else to wipe a hard drive might be a bit drastic.they should only be used if you are donating a computer and dont want any sensitive information left on there.if its a brand new computer and it came with windows 8 that might be the only operating system thats allowed to be used.some new ones are set in the bios that downgrading it to windows 7 or vista or windows xp wont work because of the bios setup.

6. RRR0001

RRR0001 Thread Starter

Yes, I did some research lately and the BIOS setup is the reason why I can't install any other type of windows. My laptop's operating system was Free DOS when I bought it, but after I partitioned it, of course everything got deleted and I have nothing on it now. As for the partitioning, if using dban is too drastic, I will delete the partitions while installing win 8, because I read a tutorial and learned that it is possible to do that. Thanks a lot for your help! :)

7. RRR0001

RRR0001 Thread Starter

Now that you mention it, I realized I did a mistake while writing the message. The thing I did while partitioning was to make a 40 GB primary partition for the operating system, then a 200 GB logical drive in the extended partition and then used the rest of the available space for the second logical drive. So, indeed, the second logical drive wasn't 500 GB, but less.

8. RRR0001

RRR0001 Thread Starter

Problem solved. I only had to install Windows 8 and everything went back to normal. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!