Solved: missing network connections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sleepy23cynthia

i have 3 computers 1 desktop and two laptops. I used a free software called tree size free that basically cleans up the lap top. Well this software sure did because after i opened up network connections and there is nothing there lol. I have no internet connection. The dvd/cd driver is not reading anything lol. The laptop never came with a recovery disk lol. I tried system restore but that did not work. As i said i have two other computers that work. My warranty has expired, my laptop is a compaq presario. I accept any ideas so please try to help me if you can lol. I am currently using my other laptop and i do have wireless.

Hi:Take a look at device manager.
Let’s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
4. Under general tab should be enabled and working properly.
5. If error code,what is it ?

The above would include a look at your dvd/cd
Your "cleaning" may have cleaned a few drivers.

sleepy23cynthia

i do admit that i personally messed it up somehow by deleting something that i was not sure of. Sadly i cant remember how i did it.

OK.So device manager shows nothing in network adapters or cd/dvd drive(no entries at all ?)
Did you turn off the pc and re start?
If so,I would go into the bios and check to see that the functions that you are missing (networking,etc) are enabled.
Getting into bios varies by pc on re boot you will normally get a message telling you how to get into setup(f1/f10/esc)

sleepy23cynthia

my notebook model is a presario v5000, my wireless is enabled, my BIOS VERSION IS F.43, but i cant find where it would say networking

OK.So in bios,wireless is enabled but in device manager,you see no entry for your wireless adapter?
In device manager,are there any devices that show an error status as described above ?

sleepy23cynthia

the device manager is blank so let me see if i can fix that hold on. the plug and play was disabled so i made it automatic now

sleepy23cynthia

ok i now have the device manager up and running i have yellow under the dvd/cd rom the yellow is TSSTCORP CDW/DVD TS-L462D. UNDER MY NETWORK ADAPTORS I HAVE BROADCOM 802.11B/G WLAN AND REALTEK RTL8139/810X FAMILY FAST ETHERNET NIC

Take a look at both devices (network and cd/dvd).Look at the driver details.
Also in the device entry,it should tell you an error code like error code 10 etc.What is it.?
Plug and play disabled.Now that's a nice thing to get cleaned.Good catch there for you.
If this is a driver issue,the best place to download the current drivers would be from your pc makers web site.

sleepy23cynthia

under the dvd/cd rom the yellow is TSSTCORP CDW/DVD TS-L462D it says code 39 driver might be corrupted or missing. Only problem is that i cant download the drivers cause i still have no internet connection. Under the network adaptors there is no errors but there is only realtek and broadcom

Sure.Download to a pc with an internet connection,saving it to, say, desktop.
Then export these files to a portable medium,thumb drive/cd etc and import them onto the problem pc,into a folder/file you will remember(desktop/my docs etc)
Then when you go through the install new driver process in device manager,point to the place you saved the files.
Now,I am not an expert at doing this,but reading many posts by folks who are,I think that pretty much covers the basics.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online