1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Missing Operating System" 7 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ishamm, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

my PC has been running fine until yesterday, when i tried to boot up and got a Missing Operating System error. I am using 7 Pro 64bit, on a new seagate caviar green 1TB HDD, i5 750, 4gb ram, well cooled system, so i cant see any reason for the hardware to have failed. i have run seagate's own SeaTools testing on my older rig, XP, and it has passed the lot, and can be accessed as a 2nd hard drive, but i cant boot off of it. I have tried booting the Windows 7 install disk but it wont find a hard drive to repair. HELP PLEASE :confused:

thanks for any suggestions

2. Hughv

Hughv

Is this drive selected as the boot drive? Have you tried switching SATA headers?

3. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

when selected as boot drive, as this hd normaly is in my rig, i get the error yes.
    what do you mean by headers? is that the sata connection that could be faulty?
    thanks

4. techhoney

techhoney

This is not a boot error.Check your BIOS by pressing "del" key when you see your motherboard logo as soon as you start your PC.Then go to advanced settings and check if there is any option for harddisk boot priority.Then make sure you have the right disk as the first booting option.
    Save your BIOS and restart.
    If you still getting same problem then you can do the following
    1.Boot with your windows 7 DVD
    2.Choose repair option
    3.It will probably repair the statup problem.

5. Hughv

Hughv

The header is the physical connection on the motherboard. It's possible you have a loose connection, a bad cable or a bad header.

6. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

techarena, i have tried that already, set the drive to be the 1st on boot list, and still nothing, and when i run the Win 7 DVD i get to the repair option, and it doesnt find any drives to repair, i only have a repair boot option, which does nothing.

Hughv, i will test with another cable, it cant be the motherboard since i have the same error on 2 different PCs right?

thanks for you help, this is driving me nuts!

7. techhoney

techhoney

Okay you could try this thing but it is my only suggestion now.
    First boot with your windows 7 DVD then goto repaid option.If the result says there is no windows 7 installation then click cancel there.You will get a window with few options like command prompt,startup repaid and more.Click command prompt
    Then type the following
    x:> Diskpart List
    You will get a list of harddrives that you have connected.
    For example "disk 1"
    now type "select disk 1" - you make sure which disk holds your OS
    you will get the following result - Disk 1 is now selected and then type "list partition"
    where it will list all the partitions on that harddisk for example
    partition 1 windows ntfs
    partition 2 backups ntfs
    Now decide which partition has your OS or windows then type the following - usually partition 1 hold the OS
    so type "select partition 1" and enter , you will get "partition 1 is selected"
    Now we have to make that partition active so type "active"
    so the result is "parition 1 is active now"
    Now type exit and close the command terminal.
    Now click startup repair option on the top of the list.
    If it works then reboot else you can try with select the other partitions.
    Hope it helps.

8. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

hi thanks for your help, but when i booted up my pc today it just worked perfectly, dont know how or why, but it appears to have fixed itself, and is now running better than it ever did before!
    not sure what caused it but problem solved!
    cheers

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice