1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing Operating System - RAID Drive - Show up in BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bascotie, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

HI guys,

I'm working on a computer with a RAID setup. It is 2 hard drives 500gb each showing up as 1tb in windows. Both drives show up in the bios but all of a sudden when trying ot start the computer I get a "Operating system is missing" error.

I'm trying to run a chkdsk form a win 7 64 bit disk and telling it to run on H; (system drive) but it says 'cannot open volume for direct access'.

The other drive, C: is just a recovery drive built into dell computer systems.

I tried using a boot cd and running mbrfix to no avail. Any ideas?

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You need to provide a LOT more information; the information you provided is somewhat confused.

Two 500GB drives, showing up as one TB. Does this mean the drives are striped?

Where, exactly, is the drive you are calling C: and claiming is the recovery disk?

How, exactly, is each drive formatted and partitioned?

Is this hardware RAID or software RAID? If hardware, whose controller? If software, which?

3. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Sorry, yes it is Raid 0 striping.
    Drive C: is a partition that dell sets up by default for reinstalling the factory system. In this case it is drive c:
    drive H: is the near 1TB (2 striped 500gig drives) partition that contains the OS and files.

Drive H: shows up as raw when externally mounted by itself using a USB dock. Not sure about the raid specifics, but it is the dell aurora alx.

When using a boot cd, I can navigate files in the H: drive fine for backup purposes but would like to get it booting again .It started with blue and black screens (i never saw them myself).

4. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

So sorry for wasting your time guys, I should've known this. I reset bios and it changed from RAID to AHCI. Just had to change it back to RAID.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice