1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing Operating System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mongoslam, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mongoslam

mongoslam Thread Starter

I recently built my gaming computer and installed my operating system on my SSD. Installed a few games and was playing everything fine. I received my HDD today and installed it, then formatted it, played some more games, installed a windows update and therefore had to restart. After restarting It came up with the message "Bootmgr is missing." And after trying to reinstall windows 7 on my SSD and the HDD it now says "Missing Operating System." I have tried in vain to system restore but it does not recognize any restore points and system repair didn't work either. I have no idea where to find the Win7 OS images to use for the image repair tool. I cannot even get to my desktop. The start up does not go further than Bios or Win 7 installation repair tools.

Please help.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. welcome to tech support guy

2. I am confused
    Please clarify this

YOU built the computer and installed windows 7 on an SSD drive
    You then installed a mechanical HDD as against a SSD
    YOU formatted the HDD intending I presume to use it for data, keeping the OS on the SSD
    You then installed a windows update, restarted and received boot manager is missing
    On that evidence I tend to think that the system was trying to boot from the installed HDD, instead of the SSD - OR
    it is a UEFI boot and the system was trying to boot from other than windows boot manager
    If it is 64 bit windows 7 and the motherboard is UEFI then it must boot from a FAT partition known as Widows boot manager in your F12 boot options and not from the SSD drive per se.

NOW this is where I become confused
    Please clarify that you did not install to BOTH and try and boot the computer with BOTH drives in

My next confusion is this
    To which Windows 7 OS images do you refer
    AND what happens when you boot from the install disc, with ONLY the SDD drive connected

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

sounds like after the update & the reinstal of windows U got
    your Boot order messed up in Bios---
    start your computer & depending on your computer hit either
    """"delete"" for ASUS style boards... or what button it says
    to enter BIOS upon start up---
    if something newer like ASUS newer boards the Boot order will be on the information page
    that first comes up when Bios open..
    if a older motherboard then U will have to click to the ""BOOT Page""".
    see if your SSD is listed & select it to Boot first,
    then a DVD / CD ROM to Boot second.
    your HHD should not be listed on the Boot Page since it doesn't have a O/S on it
    let us know
    James

4. mongoslam

mongoslam Thread Starter

Hey!

Thanks for the help, turns out I had to use another HDD to install windows on, just to get to my desktop where I then "clean"'ed my SSD using diskpart. It erased everything on it but it wasn't much. I then re-installed windows on the clean SSD and attached the original 1TB HDD that I received yesterday and then cleaned that using diskpart also. I had to re-format the SSD I think just to get windows 7 to install onto it. I booted from the install disk which led me to the OS repair menu and install page. Now everything is working as I had originally intended, I am not computer savvy enough to know what exactly went wrong but spending all night and morning trying to fix it with the install disk and command prompt seems to have worked.

THANKS FOR REPLYING!!!
    I am very grateful.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Cheers pleased to have helped a little with the suggestion to boot from the install disc

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!