1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing or corrupt file "systemd" on a dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ripcord2, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ripcord2

ripcord2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ed
    All,

My hard drive crashed on my laptop. I had a running dual boot environment of Win2K and XP. Both the Win2K and XP were backed up with Acronis Ver11. After replacing the hard drive I created the partitions needed for Win2K and XP using a Win2K CD. Formatted and installed Win2k on the first partition. Did a restore of Win2K via Acronics. I used the restore because of the other software I had installed/running on the first partition (Win2K). The XP/OS application I have needs three partitions. The three were created by the Win
    2K CD and then formatted via Disk Management (Win2K). Next I restored my XP/OS via Acronics on the second partition. Modified the Boot.ini file for both Win2K and XP. The Win2K boots no problem. Selecting XP I get the following error: Missing or corrupt file Windows\system32\config\systemd. I did copy in the NTldr and NTDetect from the i386 folder (XP CD), to the XP OS no change.

Thanks for your Help in advance

Ripcord2

2. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Copying ntldr and ntdetect.com, and running fixmbr and fixboot from the repair console
    should work. If not, do a complete repair from xp cd boot.:)

3. ripcord2

ripcord2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ed
    Sloved!!!

Loaded a WIn2K install CD deleted the four partitions. Created the four partitions,
    loaded Win2K on the first parition. Next ran Acronics and restored my Win2K Acronics
    backup on the Win2K partition. Running on the restored Acronics Win2K formatted the other three partitions. Next loaded a XP install CD on the second partition. After installing the Acronics backup of the XP OS the boot.ini had the choice for either Win2K or XP as a Dual boot function. IT WORKS!!!!!

4. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Great!!!!(y)
    "I love it when a plan comes together." Col. John "Hannibal" Smith ("The A-Team") ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/710931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice