1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing or Corrupt System32

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jpee, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jpee

Jpee Thread Starter

Turned on my desk top Dell XPS410 with XP Media Edition this morning and got a surprise. Error msg stating "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system\configuration". I tried the microsoft support site and could not do what it was asking. I am at the present running my Drivers and Utility disc I received from Dell to check the hard drive, so far everything is checking or passing. My last step of checking the hard drive is "Verify Test" which is 6o% complete (everything passed). If it is not the Hard Drive what can be the possible cause. Last night when I shut it down it was fine. A cousin of mine said last night he turned it on but turned it right off but he used the tower switch instead of cycling it off. Could that have caused a problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Let me add some facts. When I put in the "Operating System" CD I can press any key and it takes off. If I keep pressing any key it will stop at the "Setup Screen" (blue with white writing) Setup will be at the top and nothing in between. At the very bottom it will show what setup is doing and it starts loading different files and drivers and heaven know what else. When it finishes then comes the blue screen with white writing stating a problem was detected and has shut down windows to prevent damage. In order to get out of that screen I have to physically turn off the computer. When the computer was working I could put in the Operating Systems disc and it would ask me what I wanted to do and give me several options, but not it goes straight to loading. I hope this helps to come to some conclusion. Sorry for being so long winded.

Jpee

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Jpee, welcome to the TSG Forums :D

Could you please indicate your level of experience...... and please be honest, if you are an absolute beginner in the world of computing then please say so.

T.

3. Jpee

Jpee Thread Starter

Thank you Tabvla for your response. No I am not an experienced computer person. What I've learned is through trial and error. I'm just trying to give you all the info that I can so you can have some idea of what's going on. It is very hard to do. Believe me I looked high and low before I came to the Forum. I don't like to bug anyone if I can DIY. If no one there can help me, I guess I'll just have to try a system restore according to Dells' Service manual.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

Jpee, thanks for being honest about your experience level..... that really helps when answering a problem (y)

You are not "bugging" anyone, this is the entire purpose of the TSG Forums, for more experienced persons to help those who are less experienced. No one on this Forum knows everything. I am constantly asking for help with issues in which I have little experience - and you will always find someone who knows more about a subject than you do.

I will get back to you later today.... early tomorrow.

T.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and downloads site for the Dell XPS 410 desktop.

Add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it.

Here is the on-line service manual for it.

Here is the on-line owner's manual for it.

Note: The on-line manuals are in PDF format, so you need to have Adobe Reader installed to open and view them.

------------------------------------------------------------

6. Jpee

Jpee Thread Starter

I took it to a local shop here in my area. He slung some date to a stick drive and told me the hard drive was very slow. He also check for virus and said he found a few. Any way to make a long story short I used system restore and reinstall everything I needed. Thanks for all the help.:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!