Solved: Missing "Safely Remove Hardware" icon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wtlinc

How do I restore the Safely Remove Hardware icon to the system tray? I've clicked into "Customize Notifications" and a folder titled Safely Remove Hardware is listed under Past Items. I've changed its "Behavior" next to the folder to Always Show, but the icon still doesn't appear in the system tray. Rebooting after making the change doesn't help. Any ideas?
:confused:

It only appears after you have connected something like a USB thumbdrive -- and once you remove it it dissappears.

Are you saying it never appears when you connect a device? Do you get a device connect audible notification?

Once you have completed a save or file transfer -- you really don't need to use that -- I never use it any more anyway.

wtlinc

Thanks. It doesn't appear when I start up my external hard drive, and it's not there to access when I want to disconnect my external hard drive.
Also, I connected a thumb drive and the new hardware wizard appeared. But, after the drive was installed, there was no Safely Remove Hardware icon.
I know it's not a big deal, but it's perplexing. Is there a way around the missing icon problem ... in other words, how do I invoke Safely Remove Hardware without having the icon to click?

I'm not sure whether the issue with the external drive is normal or not since I don't have one. I assume it's a USB drive. It may be that the drive's software has its own procedure for ensuring that all writing is completed before removal.

As for the thumbdrive, when it is connected and the icon is present, what is the "behavior" status in the custom notifications window? Is it always show?

Hmmm, just ran across this -- and it seems in XP, it really is not necessary to use the safely remove hardware procedure unless you have modified the default behavior of the removable drive:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/hotadd/XPrem-devs.mspx

wtlinc

Thanks again. I've set the behavior status for Safely Remove Hardware to Always Show, but it's a no-show. (Maybe they should add that as a status.)
The icon for Safely Remove Hardware (SFH) does not show when I connect the thumb drive. The icon is the wizard for adding new hardware. It disappears after the hardware is connected.
Appreciate the article. The hardware I have can apparently handle the surprise removal, so I guess the missing icon is academic. Still ...
Is there a way I can invoke SFH separate from clicking on the icon? Or, do you know what the process is in the list of processes in Task Manager that pertains to SFH?

Well then it sounds like something is amiss in the way Windows is identifying the device properly. Normally add/new hardware would not appear even in the first connect of a thumbdrive.

We are just talking about a standard USB thumbdrive here, right?

When it is connected, is it identified properly in the Device Manager? See attachment for example.

Also, when it is DISCONNECTED, if you run regedit and navigate to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR

do you see an entry for it as you see for my Lexar thumbdrive in the second attachment?

If you do, right click on it and delete it. It may be damaged -- which would cause the new hardware wizard to keep appearing. Then reboot and reattach the drive.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online