1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Missing taskbar & start menu!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trevormotb, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trevormotb

trevormotb Thread Starter

I was installing some games and updating a bunch of software (Java, Itunes, etc.) when I had to restart my computer to finish updating some unrecalled software program. When I restarted, I saw that I no longer had my taskbar or start menu onscreen!

I tried some of the more obvious explanations, such as making sure my screen image was fitting completely on the monitor (it was and is) and using the keyboard command to bring up the taskbar and start menu (did not work). I even tried going into the control panel to edit my taskbar and start menu but either this did not work or this feature is no longer accessible. The odd thing is that my partner's account still has a taskbar and start menu. Part of me is wondering if this was a power surge or something unpredictable.

I've been afraid to try windows repair because I'm not sure how this will affect other installed programs. This is the second time this has happened (I reformatted my hard drive at the beginning of the month but at that time, my email and internet explorer were not able to open. I noticed the problem after one of my games (Civilization IV) appeard to crash.This time, the only thing not working is my taskbar and start menu and I am unclear of what may have caused it.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Trevor

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

If you can bring up Task Manager try the following.

Now just "occasionally" you may end a process, or terminate a program, and then you lose everything! By this I mean you just have a desktop but NO task bar at the bottom of the screen and NO icon's on the desktop.

If this happens then start up the Windows XP Task Manager and select the Applications tab.

Now select the New Task button at the bottom of the window. A new smaller window will appear. In it simply type:

explorer.exe

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager (or Windows Explorer.) It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By restarting this process the graphical interface for Windows will reappear.

3. Claymore

Claymore

4. trevormotb

trevormotb Thread Starter

Thank you! The taskbar repair program solved the problem! thanks both of you for responding. I'm still looking for that 'mark solved' button.

Cheers!

5. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Giant button at the top left of the thread. ;) Right above your first post. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!