Solved: Missing Windows Installer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GBET1910

Have a Dell E510 with Wind XP Home. Well meaning friend tried to speed it up by installing Firefox and deleting Int. Explorer. Managed to also delete WordPad and when I start up - a message box labeled "Windows Installer" appears with the note - "Preparing to Install." Notice goes away and I do whatever I need to do online. However I need to reinstall a printer and am getting the message that the installer is missing. How do I fix that - hopefully without giving Mr Gates more of my money. (Please respond using little words.)

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Using Firefox, you may have to install an add-on to allow you to download from Microsoft's Web site.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Posted via Mobile Device
Give money to Mr. Gates? How bout your friend pays to fix your computer. What he did was reckless and ignorant.

Start | Run, type iexplore, press Enter, that will start IE. You can't really uninstall it, you can only hide the shortcuts that start it.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
No, you can't really "uninstall" it, but you can manage to delete files you shouldn't, which is what it sounds like ...

Yeah, he did say "deleted IE", didn't he? I'm hoping his friend just "uninstalled" it.

Running SFC /SCANNOW from the Start | Run box might not hurt either. You'll likely need the XP CD.

GBET1910

You are my new best friends. Loaded the fix for Service Pack 2, the printer is installed, IE is back on and WordPad came back too. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online