1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mistakenly assigned all AC3 files to be opened by Nero

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by witchmedea, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. witchmedea

witchmedea Thread Starter

Hello,

This is a very silly question but I accidently checked the box telling my computer to always open AC3 files with my Nero program. I would like to have the AC3 file not be assigned to any specific program but I do not know how to do this.

The only option I have is to assign them to another program. What I am trying to say is I would like to go back to the way it was before I assigned them to Nero so I would get a message telling me that windows could not open the file and then it would ask me to choose a program to do so.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Medea

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

so you want to go back to where it couldn't open and be asked what program you want to open with.

no way i know of because where you made a mistake was leaving the box checked "always open with".

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi witchmedea

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Control Panel > Tools > Folder Options > File Types tab
    Locate the AC3 file type and delete it.

The extension AC3 will no longer have an association with any program.

Create a System Restore point first, in case of unexpected or undesired results.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

4. witchmedea

Hi,

Thank you for answering my post. I tried but for some reason the delete key is not available for the AC3 files. It seems to be available for everything but that.

I originally pulled the audio files off of a DVD so I could save them to a CD (it is a belly dance DVD and I wanted the music to practice with...it is old outdated music from a 1970s LP which was never released onto CD and you cannot find it anywhere). I followed a guide on how to do so and the guide said that the audio files may come over with a .VOB extension but they are indeed audio files not video file. It then said to change the extension to AC3 and then I could work with them in my Nero software. I wonder if it is becasue of this that I am not able to delete them from the File Types list. I am very frustrated.

On another note, if I were to create a system restore point should that be done in safe mode?

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Medea

5. EAFiedler

No, System Restore can be created while running in Normal mode.

Is there a Restore button available instead of Delete for AC3 in the File Types window?

6. witchmedea

Hi,

Yes, there is a restore button.

Medea

7. witchmedea

Hi again,

Boy...you must be so sick of me by now. I went back and highlighted the AC3 file and then clicked restore. After doing this the delete button became available and I was able to successfully delete the AC3 files from the list.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Have a good night!

Medea

8. EAFiedler

Great! Glad you were able to sort it out. :)

I have marked the thread Solved for you.
    In the future, that option is also available to you using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of your thread.

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i'd like to know what happens the next time you run the ac3 file, if you get a choice of how to open it.

10. EAFiedler

Yes, Windows will ask what program to use to open the file.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice