1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mixed issues requesting help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomalh, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomalh

tomalh Thread Starter

Hello,

I got several problems with my computer since several days.
    For the background i'm usually profficient with computers, built mine in Oct 2011, was working perfectly until now.

here are my specs:
    Windows 7 Home premium 64bit
    corsair AX 850
    asus p8z68 v pro
    corsair h80
    i5 2500k
    corsair xms3 2000mhx 8gb
    PoV TGT GTX 570 beast 2.5 SLI
    agility3 60gb system
    3x500gb storage

All started several days ago, my monitor was not turning on from computer sleep mode while everything else was working. Then last week, the monitor wasn't turning on at all several times even from off mode(unplugged), but not everytime. The computer was running perfectly with the GPUs detected(i got a g19 keyboard connected with MSI afterburner allowing me to see that) but no signal was received by the monitor(hdmi), so no image displayed. I connected the monitor via the onboard VGA plug and checked all the drivers, removed/updated, no change happened at all.

After uninstalling all the hardware, doing some checks, several times(as it was not changing anything) the monitor was finally turning on, but for the starting phase of the computer(Nvidia claim, Marvell HDD status, megatrends check)i had to be connected on the GPU1 hdmi to get a signal with the monitor, and as soon as windows was starting i needed to move from GPU1 to GPU2 with the hdmi cable. After rebooting 2 times with the hdmi plug on the GPU2 it then finally started working with the hdmi cable on GPU1 for the checks and windows...

So now my graphic/monitor problems seems fixed, but i see that i lost the sound!! Which was working perfectly before all of that, so i tried updated realtek HD audio, didn't fix anything, i tried pluggind ac97/changing it into BIOS, no change so I'm now stuck with no sound. Everything is ok in control panel. I have several sources to check sound:
    logitech home cinema - plugged in the back - not working
    Tritton AX pro - usb + optical - not working
    headset - front panel - not working

Summary is, in the last 2 weeks i had :
    - several GPU issues with monitor not turning on from sleep mode while GPU working but turning on sometimes with full capacity and no issue at all :confused:
    - same but from computer off/unplugged:confused:
    - GPU issues sorted but lost sound:confused:

Sorry for this big text!!

Thanks a lot for your help
    Cheers

Thomas

2. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

what OS?

3. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

Here is a wild stab at it.
    Windows 7 OS, lots of problems on multiple platforms.
    check to see if your Monitor has a menu. look at each one to see if you have a DDC/CI turned on.
    Turn this off. I see it on my Acers but not sure if its on all monitors.

here is what it is:
    The DDC/CI setting allows the user to switch the communication channel between the monitor and PC on and off. This is sometimes helpful if there are problems with communication between the graphics card (driver) and display.

4. tomalh

tomalh Thread Starter

Win7 64bit sorry

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

6. tomalh

tomalh Thread Starter

Thank you Weddy, there is no such setting in the BIOS.

7. tomalh

tomalh Thread Starter

Hi,

Sure, thank you!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8167 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, -1536 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 57238 MB, Free - 27726 MB; E: Total - 78530 MB, Free - 29627 MB; F: Total - 476940 MB, Free - 283309 MB; G: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 167758 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8Z68-V PRO
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated and Enabled

the GPUs are not showing correctly in this report, it is 2 GTX 570 with 2560mb ram each

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Never mind, found it in first post :)

9. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

I am stumped on this really.
    I think you may have redirected your hardware to get your monitors to work correctly...

I hate to say that you may have to revert back to the way you had it with the sound working and fix the problem with the monitor issue.

To fix it you have to look at the hardware of the monitor and the graphics card, so stated above with the DDC/CI I think its more of a problem that Microsoft though since it goes back to their beta platform.... its a communication issue with Win 7 64bit. So far I have found with my own included.

Check to see if your settings identify your monitor(s) name and updates once again.
    control panel, appearance and Personalization, display, screen resolution. in the display is it say your monitor.
    update the monitor drivers again.

see if it helps.

I think when you switch the GPU1 and GPU2 thinking they do the same thing (which they do) your sound was running on one of the same lines. Which would turn it off you just have to One put it on the other line or two switch back the monitor and resolve the issue of communication.

10. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

the DDC/CI is not in the PC its in the monitor Menu

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

This is the same graphics card i have so I am pretty sure that you need to turn that communication switch off on the monitor side.

11. tomalh

tomalh Thread Starter

thanks.
    The thing is except deleting/reinstalling all the concerned drivers and unplugging/plugging the concerned hardware i didn't do anything, so i wouldn't know how to get back to the monitor not turning on and the sound working. It's really unbelievable!

12. tomalh

tomalh Thread Starter

Oh sorry, there is nothing like that neither on the monitor settings, however it works perfectly on other computers...

13. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

what monitors you have? Plz

14. tomalh

tomalh Thread Starter

just found it :)
    it is disabled now, it was enabled!

15. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

what is weird is the sound. that it shut off all your ports.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!