1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mmc and root console missing?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Blittzin, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Hi and thanks to anyone who can help me. I wanted to set group policy so windows wouldn't install rogue drivers for my chipset. I haven't been able to install them no matter what I do. I went into gpedit.msc and my mmconsole isn't there and the console root is bare. Could this be why the chipset is giving me so much trouble? Does anybody know how these things could be missing? I hope I haven't put this in the wrong forum. Thanks for any help, feedback, or opinions about this.

Attached Files:

2. Megabite

Megabite

No that is normal as my MMC console is the same.....what are the problems you are having and why are you trying to re install your chipset drivers?

3. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

I can't get my chipset driver to update no matter what I do. Fresh re install same thing. windows always starts installing it and the driver is a couple of years old. I was going to edit group policy by gpedit.msc and it shows nothing. I was disabling windows auto install for device drivers and stuff. It's strange because I can't access the group policy. I'm lost as usual. The driver installed now is the one windows install decided to use. I wanted to stop the auto update. Sweep nforce drivers and (this part I haven't figured out yet) possibly install the right nforce by flash drive since I won't be able to download from nvidia. I'll have no connectivity. Thanks very much for your help. I can't seem to attach screenshots anymore. I should be able to find my group policy settings right? Man, I'm really really lost on this. Peace always.....

4. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

That explains alot..... thanks again.

5. Megabite

Megabite

You should be able to get the chipset update if it needs one from the manufactures site of the make of the PC or the motherboard maker.

You could be having problems with installing the drivers as you have Norton which may be blocking them.

6. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

I download them from nvidia. This is one thing I considered because it's something I just started reading about. Bios updates and command line parameters typed with the .bin file to clear cmos(did only that manually after other updates) clear pnp escd, clear dmi data pool. You can make a boot cd with the file and type the commands like /cc /cd etc. Even check checksums. There's a possibillity that these things need to be done. I can telll you I won't flash again until I can learn how to do that. No more guys on the internet saying flash unplug everything pull battery move pins clear cmos and that's it. I have my norton pretty much turned completely off when I do it. Do you thing I need to completely uninstall norton then try? Thanks for your help and feedback.

7. Megabite

Megabite

I would leave the bios alone if you are not having problems with it as flashing the bios can go horribly wrong and leave you unable to load you system.

8. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

I always flash the bios and NEVER with the internet or a mb utility that has that option. As long as you have the previous version saved it almost foolproof. Here's the best article I've read yet about easily entering the command line parameters that will automatically flash the bios and instruct the update to clear alot of things that are very important like the dmi pool plugnplay escd etc.... To me many of these funcions are essential to avoid conflict especially hardware. I just thought I'd throw this article in http://www.lejabeach.com/Guide/awardbios.html. It's not the bios update bible by any means and surely not a one size fits all guide, but it's a good read especially for overclockers. Peace ......

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice