1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MMC requires internet explorer 5.5 or greater to be installed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Anon23, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anon23

Anon23 Thread Starter

Im getting that on alot of stuff. I dont remember where any settings are to turn off internet explorer for use in windows stuff if that would help. I get this for my admin tools and my device list in hardware/system properties. Where is windows xps settings to check default programs etc. I set it to use internet explorer in set program access and defaults but it still wont work. I was going to uninstall and reinstall Service pack 2 and see if i could reload that internet explorer after installing an njstar japanese explorer and after a problem with my WMI file possibly being corupted, but it wont uninstall properly from remove programs.(should have the thread linked in my sig.) I dled the other internet explorer 6 from windows site and installed it so that it was working properly and i could acess my bank again because something was causing alot of buttons to not be recognized all of a sudden on most pages. I dont think it was the njstar i think it was the dl of the windows update for dr.watson batching up my computer.. I think it was screwing with my other virus scanner because of the default setting on install. can anyone help?

I use windows xp pro. I still dont have where everything is on this operating system memorized and dont remember all the time where certain tools are for it.

2. Anon23

Anon23 Thread Starter

Ok i have two threads and not even an atempt at a response. Can someone atleast ask me something if you need to know more about the situation. I dont know how Windows XP treats files in most cases during its normal operations. I dont know where alot of stuff is in xp ATM. Can someone begin to start a dialogue. anything you think can help. Was there a known problem with the last windows virus checker they added? Whats the normal way of dealing with this in xp? This cant be that odd of a problem. I just didnt find it in the search.

3. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

:confused: have read both threads and cant figure out the problem you are having. so a solution at this time is not possible.

having trouble with a virus, cant load some programs, blue screen, redirection?

please be a bit more specific, so we can have a starting point......thanks.

4. Anon23

Anon23 Thread Starter

In this one the MMC program says it needs IE 5.5 or higher. I have 6. Where can i tweak it. I had a big mess after the, i think, DR.Watson installation from the Windows updated recently for their virus checker. It was running several versions of itself and taking up system space, i presume, running initial checks/overbearing realtime checks. I dont know the problem but the moment it installed my computer had several different issues. The one im trying to deal with is getting certain parts of my computer to recognize that i have past IE 5.5. My admin tools and a thing in system or two run through MMC and need a certain internet explorer to use. I have it but i keep getting an error saying hte title of this thread. So i cant use them at all. I tried dling the none sp2 IE 6 and installed it to deal the issue i was having in webpaged to start because it was no recognizing alot of objects on the pages. But the systems tools are stil not recognizing that i have changed it. How do i tweak this or how can i fix that without a backup. Does that help?

I keep forgetting about regedit too. Never had to use it much, always found other ways to deal with issues. Ill have to check it. But any info would be appreciated.

5. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

still not too sure. but, i would like you to do the following.

go here and create a HJT log. once you do that. create a new thread in SECURITY. one of our resident experts will take alook at it.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

6. Anon23

Anon23 Thread Starter

Found the solution!!!

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1124757072

I went to windows/inf found IE.inf, right clicked, clicked install, ran saying yes and continue from my windows CD, told it to continue even though it didnt find a file and said it was from the SP2 Cd, let it finish the copy, clicked on an admin program, and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When i open up Device manager, though, it doesnt show any hardware. Any idea how that happened or where to start on a solution?

I have also had an odd absence of my Network connections. I had my Lan(internet) and my two firewires on my motherboard. They are now not listed at all.

I did install microsoft baseline security 2.0. Could this have wiped them out or something for security?

Edit: I'm currently trying this:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1051715405

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311504

But it was already enabled for me too. Ill post when i restart. I noticed under logon that it didnt have "allow service to interact with desktop" selected. Will that affect anything?

Final edit: Ok i restarted my computer and i have them back. I noticed when i first ran into this problem other unsolved threads with this problem. (in a search not on the top of the forum) you might want to find them and lead them to this website. Id recomend looking at them to hellp with problems!! 8)

Its still empty. Any ideas?

Edit2: heres what they say in the post:

re: Empty Device Manager
    Monday, October 13, 2003 at 4:58 pm
    Posted by Sayantan Datta (12 messages posted)

Solution Check the Plug and Play Service to Startup in MSCONFIG To check on the status of the Plug and Play service from within MSCONFIG, perform the following steps: Click the Start button, click Run, and then type in the Open box msconfig. Click OK. The Microsoft System Configuration Utility window appears. Click the Services tab. Verify that the Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox is not checked; if it is, uncheck it. Scroll down the list of services until you see the service named Plug and Play. Click to check Plug and Play if the box is currently unchecked. NOTE: If you are still having difficulty accessing the Device Manager or the Status displayed in MSCONFIG is listed as Stopped, proceed to the next section to enable the Plug and Play service. Enable the Plug and Play Service To enable the Plug and Play service in a system where it is disabled, perform the following steps: Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, and then left-click Manage. The Computer Management window appears. Click Services and Applications, and then click Services. Click the tab labeled Standard, and scroll down to Plug and Play. Double-click Plug and Play. NOTE: If a warning dialog box appears, click OK. The Plug and Play Properties window appears. Click to change the Startup Type to Manual, and then click Apply. NOTE: If a warning dialog box appears, click OK. Under the Service Status section of the Plug and Play Properties windows, click the Start button. This will start the Plug and Play service. Click OK on the Plug and Play Properties. You should now be able to access the Device Manager

----------------------------------------------------------

I had to do the last step. I set it to manual and it doesnt alow me to hit start. All of the buttons are still dark.

Edit3: I went into regedit/ LM/.......current control set/ enum and set enum to reset the child permissions. I now have my devices back. I still do not have any network stuff listed. Does anyoneknow where i could get those to show back up?

7. Anon23

Anon23 Thread Starter

Ok, i restarted the computer and i have network connection listed again. It redected after the restart. I noticed several other threads of these problems back when i first thought about posting in a search. They were also unsolved. Id recommend going through and leading those people to this site. Just search and you find fast answers!! Id also recommend using them as a back up resource for this forum in case of hard problems like this! 8)

Thanks for the help you gave me on my other problems.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/345095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice