1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: .MOD Video Thumbnails Not Showing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JCyoung, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JCyoung

JCyoung Thread Starter

Ok... i have some computer knowledge, and i can google with the best of them but I haven't found a complete fix to my problem... here we go... got video from this last waterfowl season... on my old Toshiba satellite which was running windows 7 home ed, i was able to take that video (.MOD) format and put it straight onto my computer into a folder, and i would have a thumbnail of maybe the beginning of that video... That computer's Hard drive crashed... so i bought a smaller Toshiba like T135 or something without a disc drive, which also has windows 7 home, and I am able to get the thumbnails on that coomputer also... however i bought this Dell Optiplex GX280 which has Windows XP on it... I bought it because it would be a better video editing computer than some small laptop... This computer has good stats, but alas i went to put my video on and i opened my flash drive and I have 0 photoed thumbnails... now when i first started this, i had the factory Windows Media Player... no thumbnails with it... then upgraded to media player 11, still no thumbnails... all it has is the WMP icon and MPEG... if i need i can take a screen photo and show you... so i've spent the last couple hours googling and found what seemed to be a solution by downloading this codec which a few people said fixed their problem... Stinkys' MPEG-2 Codec Installer... I download and ran this... now it wasn't a complete failure because one of the sub-folders inside the main folder finally came up as the thumbnail... and the videos inside that folder came up as thumbnails... but i still have over 75 videos that aren't, they again are .MOD... i have already been told that renaming them won't work... Yes i do know that they are actually mped2 files but is there something out there that will work so that ALL my videos have a corresponding Thumbnail so that i don't have to go through each one and figure out what it is when i want to edit video? Thanks for any advice

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is their file association (both the ones that work and those that don't)?

If they are all .mod files, they should all show thumbnails or not since it is a system-wide setting. Make sure you have chosen the same View settings for the folders that don't show them as you have for the folders that do.

3. JCyoung

JCyoung Thread Starter

ok attached is a photo of the folder... all files minus 1 are .mod there is one folder, as you can see in the photo, that actually is displaying the photos of the videos in the folder... those are also all .MOD files... i have already went into control panel and to folder options and reset all folders to factory defaults. I don't know what is different for that one folder but obviously something is.

Attached Files:

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't see the file types. In Folder Options, unhide file extensions.

5. JCyoung

JCyoung Thread Starter

not seeing anything in folder options to unhide file extentions

6. JCyoung

JCyoung Thread Starter

think i got what you ment... oh and after looking again in the folder that has the actual thumbnails... somehow they were changed to mpg's I don't know how that happened but they were .MOD all the video came from the same camcorder

Attached Files:

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do they play as mpg's? (Probably, since the codec produces the thumbnails.)

Can you just change the others to mpg? Try just one to see if it works.

Check the file association for both the mpg's and the mod's to see what they are.

(I would highly suggest keeping file endings visible. As you can see, it's pretty hard to fix some things if you don't even know what file type you are working with. I personally don't know how people can function with hidden file endings. :D)

8. JCyoung

JCyoung Thread Starter

ok found a fix... download Emicsoft Mod Converter... started converting to .WMV and now i am getting thumbnails... i tried changing them to .MPG and they would get a thumbnail but the video was tiny... .WMV seems to be working and the videos are the same size thanks

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, I imagine it was a matter of codecs. The program either installed one or changed the file association.

In any case, it looks like you can see your vids and thumbnails now.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!