1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Modem Bridge Mode + Router + USB Wireless Adapter Configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Acez1007, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Acez1007

Acez1007 Thread Starter

I have my main computer with the following setup

Windows Vista connected to the router then to the modem in Bridge Mode (so that I can use NAT1 with my PS3), thus internet works fine for both, my Main Comp (Desktop) using PPPoe and PS3 using a wireless connection between my router but also through PPPoe.

However, in terms of my secondary computer (Desktop), I have a USB Wireless Adapter, but I do not seem to be able to find the configuration for going on to the internet through the router but to use PPPoe.

The following are my products

Router - D-Link DIR-625
    Adapter - D-Link USB Wireless Adapter DWL-G122
    Modem - SpeedStream 5200

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm a bit confused. If you're connecting PPPoE with two devices, that indicates you have two modems, which sure doesn't sound right. What are you really doing here?

3. Acez1007

Acez1007 Thread Starter

let me try again

So, currently, my Main Desktop is connected to my router, and then from the router to my modem which is in Bridge Mode. Thus I have set up a PPPoe connection for my Main Desktop.

In terms of wireless connection, I need my PS3 to be connected wirelessly with a NAT Type 1 Connection, hence when I search my router signal, instead of grabbing it, entering the WEP and go, I would also need to enter the username and password info from my ISP as well, which is similar to the setup of a PPPoe connection from my Main Desktop in which I have to enter the same info, but wired (and of course no WEP).

Now, for my secondary desktop, I used to be able to connect to the Internet without a problem using a USB Wireless Adapeter by grabbing the signal, enter the WEP then go. However, since I need to switch my modem to Bridge Mode in order to use my PS3 online, my USB Wireless Adapter does not seem to work. It "does" say it is connected to the router with good signal but it does not connect to the Internet. As a result, since this is also wireless, how would I establish my Internet Connection back, would I do something similar to what I did for my PS3 (setting up a "PPPoe" connectivity by entering the username/password from my ISP), if so how?

--------------------

From my PS3

[​IMG]

Because my modem is in Bridge Mode, I need to connect my PS3 wirelessy using PPPoE settings. [http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectadvance.html ]

However, I couldn't seem to find an option like that from my secondary desktop, and it seems that it is only through PPPoE (entering my ISP ID and Pass) will grant me access the net.

4. Acez1007

Acez1007 Thread Starter

Sorry for double post, but I have just solve my problem

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/727359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice