1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Modem disconnect - Speedtouch 546

Discussion in 'Networking' started by timbit222, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timbit222

timbit222 Thread Starter

Hello!

I am having a problem with a modem, apparently, that has worked well for around 3 years. The present problem is that it disconnects me at around 11 pm every night (thought not precisely, and it changes) and remains disconnected with the power light flashing red to green to red (with the ethernet flashing green at the same time). It will not reconnect by itself, but will when I push the on/off button---only to disconnect again repeatedly at different intervals.

This happens every night, but only around the 11 pm mark. It's fine from the morning to around that time.

What could possibly be the problem? My ISP says there has been no service disruption at this time.

Thanks for any help or ideas. Up til now, I have reset the modem and another computer hardwired into the same modem. The problem continues.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suspect a defect in the modem/router or, more likely, in your electrical system. Maybe temperature related; maybe more electrical load at night.

3. timbit222

timbit222 Thread Starter

I thought it might have something to do with the router, so I unplugged the wires and have been using the modem only.

By temperature problem do you mean the modem itself may be overheating? And by electrical do you mean my power bar or the electrical system of my house? Up until last week, everything worked fine. The modem has been problem-free for 3 years. Is there a way of knowing for sure that it is overheating/an electrical issue without replacing the modem just yet?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That is a possibility, but since the problem occurs at night I was thinking of the opposite--something (connection, wire, ...) being colder, hence contracting and not working properly.

Yes, any of the above.

I can't think of many. Certainly if you are using a surge protector or power strip try plugging the Speedtouch modem/router directly into a wall outlet. Look for any nighttime additional electrical load (e.g., furnace, electric heater).

Can you think of anything that happened around that time (e..g., weather got significantly colder; broken basement window; somebody got a new electric blanket)?

5. timbit222

timbit222 Thread Starter

Thanks for your ideas. I will investigate this further taking your points into consideration.

6. timbit222

timbit222 Thread Starter

Well, I plugged it into the wall and the problem remains, so the problem isn't the power bar. There have been no new electrical devices running lately. And the temperature has never caused anything like this, either. So I am at a loss. But thanks again.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. I have no other ideas on this.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice