1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Modem keeps shutting off

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Oogies, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oogies

Oogies Thread Starter

for about the past 2 months now my modem will just randomly turn itself off and try to restart itself. (if that makes any sense) for ex. i will be on the internet and then all of a sudden i cant load pages anymore. i look at my modem and the only lights that are on are the "power" and "receive" lights. the "send" is flashing and the "online" is not lit. eventually it will fix itself after about 20 minutes or it could be even an hour. to manually fix it i have to unplug all the wires from the modem, wait a few seconds, then plug them all back in and it will work again. but that fix is only temporary.

i have COX communications internet. i tried calling them but all they did was acknowledge my modem was not connecting to them and they told me to reset it (removing the wires then plugging them in as i mentioned above).

this happens at the very least once every 2 days.
    it is almost impossible to use the internet for anything except quick email checks or something like that. i can not play my games for more then 30 minutes in most cases before it just shuts off.

just today when the internet was actually working it would sporadically go to a near stop and i would get tremendous connection lag in MW2 and my character would just glitch about the map, but then it would suddenly go back to normal. then after the 3rd "internet spazz" i lost connection to xbox live.

I am running a Wired connection to my PC and Xbox.

my router's model no.: Linksys WRT310N
    my Modem: Motorola "SURFboard" SB5100 Cable modem.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi.Did Cox provide the modem.If so,I would try to get a replacement.
    Sorry:I see it is a surfboard,so perhaps not ?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the modem is truly resetting, you probably need a new one. If it's not ISP supplied, time to go modem shopping.

4. Oogies

Oogies Thread Starter

any advice on picking a modem?

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

If you were happy and used to the Motorola,then do it again.If not then
    Probably a good idea to stay with major maker.D-link/Netgear.

6. JohnWill

I'd look for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem from a major manufacturer.

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

Good suggestion.They probably do,but just touch base with your local Cox provider to make sure that they do support that technology in your area.

8. JohnWill

DOCSIS3 modems are backward compatible, I'm just figuring if he's buying a modem, might as well plan for the future. :D

9. pedroguy

pedroguy

Yep:When I googled it,there were quite a few links from folks who were having trouble getting support from their ISP's.Quite a few Comcast and some Cox.
    That's the only reason I thought that it might be a good thing to check first. :D

10. Oogies

Oogies Thread Starter

11. JohnWill

The basic modem installation is connecting it and then contacting the ISP, they have to change the MAC address of your account so your modem will get a connection.

12. Oogies

Oogies Thread Starter

13. pedroguy

pedroguy

think that wquld be the one..

14. JohnWill

Motorola is about as "major" a modem manufacturer as you're going to find. :)

15. Oogies

Oogies Thread Starter

thanks a bunch for the help guys/gals

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897171