1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Modem problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdemnyan1116, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

Lately, sometimes when I dial up the internet, it goes through the first set of dialing, then when it starts to connect to the ISP, it seems to freeze and you just get one high pitch of a sound. Not always, haven't updated modem, no need to. No virus, trojans on system, ran every possible check. Sound will stay until you restart. Does not redial through.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You mat want to update the drivers for the modem. If its an HP then they will have any driver updates for that modem if its orginal to the machine. If not most modem chipset manufacturers also supply generic modem drivers.

It could also be a bad modem, I had one modem go out like this on me. Eventually it wouldn't at all. What connection speed are you getting once it connects?

3. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Have the latest updates for the modem. Called HP support and got the run around for 45 minutes between not having insurance and having insurance. Anyway, their guy said to Go to Device Manager, Modem, uninstall, shut down, startup again, check for modem installed, It was, tried while he was on line, first time it started again. He said to take it to an HP fixit shop. Anyway, I Have an Best Buy insurance also and used it. He told me to do the uninstall of the modem also, then uninstall all the ports installed on the computer. Shut itdown, Hit F1 on startup, reinstalled all the default connections,(never changed them), hit F5, finished, computer turned on, all things installed and have not had the same problem yet. Have logged on about 8 times since and good connections. He said that sometimes they get old and have to be refreshed? Anyway, its working.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice