1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] modem problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leigh40, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leigh40

leigh40 Thread Starter

hi there
    i have a problem with my modem.
    after about 20 minets of being on line it dis-connects?
    is there any setting i can change to stop this?
    thanks later
    lee...

2. ksuwyldkat

ksuwyldkat

Can you provide more details? Are you using an ISP, whom. Also what type of operating system and modem would be helpful.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you actively doing things when it disconnects? Do you have your Outlook Express or Outlook email program to check email every so many minutes and have the box checked in the options to 'disconnect after checking email' ?

4. $teve

$teve

there are a few mods you can use to better your connection.
    but before you go altering things check that the problem is at your end or your isp`s.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

this tool will do that for you.
    hope it helps..........let us know.
    good luck.:)

5. leigh40

leigh40 Thread Starter

hi there
    right then my system is a:-
    850mhz cpu
    256 ram
    20 gig hd
    intel ham fax voice modem.
    I haven't got disconnect checked after checking mail.
    and I have software installed called stay connected which is suppose to keep your connection even during inactivate
    any ideas?

6. barbcw

barbcw

Have you checked the Internet Options dialog box in IE to see if the disconnect setting is checked?

click on Tools - Options - Connection Tab - Settings button - Advanced button.

clear the box beside "Disconnect if idle for 20 minutes" (or whatever time is posted)
    Click OK and close out the remaining screens.

Barbcw

7. leigh40

leigh40 Thread Starter

hi there
    i looked at that but it does not have the disconnect after option?
    it goes on about proxy server?
    i am useing freeserve any time as my isp will this have anything to do with it?
    please help!!
    laters lee

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

From what I'm assuming to be their website:

Can I stay connected all the time?

Freeserve AnyTime is not intended to support continuous or unattended Internet access, and as a result there is a 2 hour cut-off time on each call. This is necessary to allow all members to access the service. Freeserve monitors the network and takes measures to control congestion if there is evidence that this is occurring. If usage is such that it is significantly affecting service to other members of our network then Freeserve will instigate congestion control measures. For members who want an always-on connection we advise that FreeservePlus is the best service for them. Please go to www.freeserve.com/plus/ for more details.

9. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

;) Go to Control Panel and double click on Modem. Click on Properties then Connection. At the bottom of the page there is probably the option to "disconnect after"..... Either clear the checkmark or set it to a higher time limit. Hope this helps. KW1

10. leigh40

leigh40 Thread Starter

thanks chaps i think that sorted it
    laters
    lee

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice