1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Modem, Router Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Oklahoma, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Thread Starter

First question: I currently have a Linksys BEFSR41 router and a Motorola Surfboard SB5120 modem running two WIN XP SP3 computers on my home network. Speedtests show I get less than half the speed from the router than when the computer is connected directly to the modem from Cox Preferred internet. The router was purchased May 2003. Could the router's age have something to do with the speed drop?

Second question: I want to switch to IP phone (Phone Power) and IPTV (Sky Angel). My plasma HD'TV is about 55 cable feet away from my computers/router/modem. The set top box for the IPTV needs to be near the TV. I did a trial running a 55 foot Cat 5 cable from the router to the set top box at the TV and for the most part it worked ok but had occasional picture breakup and buffering. Speedtests showed substantial drop in speed at certain times of the day. I wonder if it would work better if I placed a second modem at the TV and then put a splitter or Tee on the coax at the current modem location to run a separate coax to the TV modem. It is probably about 50 cable feet from the incoming coax (outside wall) to the current modem/computer location. So, there would be the 50 feet plus another 55 feet of coax to the TV modem, with a Tee or splitter in the middle of the run.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My objective is to lower overall cost and still have good quality TV, phone and computer performance.

Thank you for any suggestions.

2. pcdebol

pcdebol

I'd like to start by saying go pokes. May they rule bedlam this year.

The speed test with the router could be some type of compatibility problem you shouldn't be getting a slowdown like that have you ever updated the firmware on the router? Just remember it is always a possibility you can turn the router into a brick when updating firmware so proceed at your own risk on this one.
    The speed drops at certain times of the day is just part of having cable internet service it means lots of people on your part of the network are surfing at that time. Cable internet uses shared bandwidth and speed can be affected by the use of other people on the same network segment you are on. So no a second modem or moving it probably will not help.

3. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Thread Starter

Thanks pcdebol for the response. I am with you on 'go pokes', having once graduated from OSU.

I tried to upgrade the router firmware earlier in the year but was not successful. I will try again and if that doesn't work then maybe a new router is in order. I will leave this post up for awhile to see if there are any other responses.

4. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Thread Starter

Sorry about the second post. I did not realize I was making another post. In response to pcdebol's suggestion I was able to upgrade the router firmware and it made a significant difference.

Thank you

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're talking about a router that was purchased in 2003 or earlier? A unit that old may have problems with a high speed connection. Exactly how fast is your connection. I have an old D-Link DI-614+ that I tried on my 20mbit connection, it was only able to do about 7mbit, but newer routers will give me the full 20mbit bandwidth.

I think it's time for a new router.

6. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Thread Starter

Thank you JohnWill and pcdebol for your helpful responses!
    After much travail, I was able to upgrade the firmware to the latest (late 2004) on the Linksys site. I ran several tests (speedtest.net) this morning. With the computer connected directly to the modem, the average of 7 tests was 10 Mbs. With the router connected, the average of 12 pings was about 8.3 Mbs. I have noticed that the speedtest varies with the time of day but earlier I was getting about half the speed out of the router as I was getting out of the modem.My ISP claims 10Mbs for the Internet speed but I have seen it vary much higher speed and much lower depending on the traffic. Nevertheless, I think you are right that it is time to get a new router.
    Thank you both again, and if I can find the right button to hit I will close this post and consider my problem solved.
    Oklahoma

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice