1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Modem Router - Powerline blocking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by M8029, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. M8029

M8029 Thread Starter

Hi: I'm not that literate with IT but here goes. My set up is....

STUDY - Have a PC in the study running XP Home edition and connected to internet by Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-EG modem router. PC is connected to LAN1. To extend range of wireless I have Powerline by Addon HP2000 connected to LAN2 of the router in the study.

LOUNGE - Here I have the receiving Addon NHP2010. The NHP2010 has both a LAN outlet and wireless. The LAN from the NHP2010 I connect to a nettop pc box connected to the TV in the lounge. The nettop runs Windows 7 Home edition its has wifi as an option.

I also have a HPmini laptop that runs Windows 7 Home edition and I connect by wireless,

OK so if I run with the Dynamode router connected only via LAN1 to the study XP PC I can wifi the nettop in the study and wifi to the laptop and all works fine. No powerlines in place.

Now I connect the HP2000 in the study to LAN2 and the nettop to the NHP2010 in the lounge and while the nettop receives the internet the PC in the study seems to be blocked out - no internet. If I do 192.168.1.1 on the study PC it logs onto the NHP2010 powerline in the lounge not the dynamode router? Any idea how I can get the powerlines to work with the dynamode and study PC so LAN1 and LAN2 work? Also when I set up the SSID for the NHP2010 do I use the same name and WPA2 pass key or a unique SSID effectively creating a second WIFI network?

Regards,
    Mike

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you are saying that you have at least one pair of devices on your network with the same IP address. All IP addresses on a network must be unique.

3. M8029

M8029 Thread Starter

Hi Terrynet,

Ok so how do I solve the IP problem. I thought these were automatically set and the powerlines would have some intelligence not to use the same setting as the modem router?

Regards,
    Mike

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I haven't looked for user manuals but surely at least the Addon NHP2010 has a default IP address so that you can access it and configure the wireless. What does the manual say about addresses? From your initial post I could assume that both it and the router are set to 192.168.1.1.

5. M8029

M8029 Thread Starter

Hi,

I assume I can reset the dynamode IP address and that will solve the problem or as I have two powerline devices the one that connects to LAN2 (sender) and the one in the lounge (receiver) do these both have/need to be set to different IP addresses? As I say I do not know much about this. I hope the attachment works its the page on the Dynamode modem-router I assume I adjust but what do I change?

REgards,
    Mike

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would change the Dhcp Server's ending address to 192.168.1.100 and then assign static IPs (e.g., the powerline things) in the .101 to .254 range.

7. M8029

M8029 Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,

As I say I am new to this and I do not know what IP and DHCP achieve. So to be specific I assume you mean I reset the DHCP on the Dynamode modem router and then logon the two powerline devices to fix their IP numbers so that they are different from the Dynamode and each other?

Apologies for the infrequent replies but work gets in the way as I have no internet access there.

Regards,
    Mike

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you assume correctly. :)

9. M8029

M8029 Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,

Setting the DHCP range on the router and the powerline to different ranges so the IP address on the router ends in 1 and on the powerline ends in 101 worked. Both now work. So thank you

Regards,
    Mike

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice