1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: modem sleep mode

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Chuckster, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chuckster

Chuckster Thread Starter

I have a Motorola surfboard s85101 cable modem and I am wondering what is the purpose of the sleep mode switch. Should I put the modem to sleep when not in use or just leave it on 24 7. Will the modem last longer by putting it to sleep when not in use.
    Thanks-Chuck

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I could find no information about a surfboard s85101 on Motorola's site. Do you have a user manual? And does it say anything about a "Sleep" mode?

The Motorola Surfboard modems that I know about (e.g., my SB4200 and SB5101) have no Sleep mode but do have a Standby mode. In Standby no traffic is transmitted, but I can find no indication its use would prolong life. The life of the modem, of course, will be extended if you unplug it when it is not being used for extended periods of time (e.g., mine is unplugged for about 10 hours each night).

3. avisitor

avisitor

I have no idea what the purpose of Standby mode is other than to disconnect your internal network from the internet while preserving your cable connection and IP address.

4. Chuckster

Chuckster Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The cable guy who installed it called it a sleep mode but I'm thinking standby mode to disconnect from the internet. I guess I'll just leave it on 24/7 as if it dies the cable company supplies a new one at no charge.
    Thanks for your help.
    Chuck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice