1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Modem trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cadeau, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Windows 98 SE. If I try to connect to the internet I get the message " fialed to connect to remote computer.No dial tone" What does it mean when I get the message "port already open" When I use the diagnostics in modem properties? Does this mean the modem is junk?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you reboot the computer and try again. Also, did you test the phone line with a real phone to be certain you have dial tone there?

3. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Ace, I did reboot and I get the same messages. I also disconnected the phone line from the wall before I did the diagnostic test. I should still get a responce even if the phone line is faulty. correct ?

4. ~Candy~

Well, you need a good working phone line to be connected so the modem reports a dial tone.

5. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Ace, the computer I am using now to type this is also on dial-up. I disconnected the phone line from the wall and run the diagnostic, I did get a responce and summery. Now why wouldn't the other machine be doing the same? Bad modem maybe ?

Thanks

6. ~Candy~

Probably.......

7. moose69

moose69

Hi AcaCandy

Before you bin the modem try uninstalling it completely in device manager. Reboot and install your driver fresh from the makers cd rom, not the windows drivers. If this fails repeat the process but shut down after uninstalling, get out the screwdriver, unseat the modem and firmly but gently reseat it and reboot, install and hope for the best . If that does not work there is a good chance your modem is f***ed.

Good Luck

moose69

:D :D :D :D

8. ~Candy~

Another thing you can do, if you do take it out of the computer as stated above, plug a real phone into the phone line and plug the modem into the wall, pick up the phone and see if you have dialtone, if not, then it is definitely the modem ;)

9. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Ok I got the modem to work tonight. Now get ready to laught at me. And I really won't mind! OK I know for sure that I had a dial tone because I plugged a phone into the phone jack. Anyways , I uninstalled the modem removed com-ports rebooted reinstalled modem drivers tried to connect and got the same message "could not detect dial tone" So I was convinced that the modem was junk and I started to plan what my new modem will be. Then I suddenly relized that I forgot to unplug the test phone and plug the modem line back in !! LOL ! Thanks for the support Ace Candy and Moose.

10. moose69

moose69

Hi Cadeau
    Glad to hear you got it working. In the heat of the moment most of us can behave as if braindead its all part of the process.

moose69

:D :D :D :D

11. ~Candy~

See, sometimes, no dial tone, REALLY does mean no dial tone :D

BTW, modems go on sale free after rebate, so you might just keep your eyes open for one so next time you won't need to start calculating how much it'll cost ;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice