1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Modem Will NOT Install?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keerbear412, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keerbear412

keerbear412 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have been having issues with this USRobotics USR5670 modem, it will not install on my computer:
    Dell Dimension 4400
    Windows XP Pro
    Need anything else just let me know.
    I have used the cd, downloaded drivers from the internet, and it says, cannot install hardware. I have downloaded the chipset from dell (said i didn't need it) all Windows Updates are installed. I have now tried to install a conexant modem, and it will not install either? Any ideas will be tremendously appreciated.?.?.? Thank You!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How does the modem appear in Device Manager?

Did you get the driver from USR?

3. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

Try a different PCI port if you have not already.

Any issues with other things like this like a sound card?

4. keerbear412

Yes, the modem shows up in device manager, and I did get the drivers from UsRobotics website. I have not had any other problems with other PCI devices, everything works fine, except this? I was thinking that it may have something to do with software or the operating system being corrupt in some way, but I really do not want to do a reinstall there is way too much "stuff" to backup... I am going to try and switch it with another pci device and see what happens...? Thanks for the help, it is appreciated, keep it coming I don't care how little it may seem, because I really do NOT want to reinstall....thx:rolleyes:

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have also tried to install other modems, especially a Conexant, unless you have completely removed the earlier drivers, they may still be loading.

Look through Autoruns and see if any modem drivers are being loaded and delete them if they are. The USR ones are usually pretty clearly marked, so you can assume that anything related to a modem that is not USR should be removed.

Has this modem worked before?

6. keerbear412

I have changed the PCI slot, with no luck, still doing the same thing.
    The USR is brand new out of the box, and the old conexant has worked before. I am going to check the Autoruns now. Thank you I will let you know how it goes.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try Control Panel > System. Under the Hardware tab, a button that says something like "Windows Update Driver Settings". See if you have it set to never install unsigned drivers and change it to "Ask".

8. keerbear412

I tried the AutoRun program and it had a lot of Conexant listed, but no USR, unless it is under something else? But it did not work :(.... Any other ideas? Thank you!

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you changed any services? Is Shell Hardware Detecion and the Plug and Play service running?

Check that System applet I mentioned, too.

If it is in Device Manager, what does it say about it?

10. keerbear412

I changed the Windows Driver Settings to "Ask". and restarted the computer. Still will not install?

11. keerbear412

In device manager it says:<yellow> ? PCI Simple Communications Controller
    I am still checking on the Shell Hardware Detection and the Plug and Play service

12. keerbear412

Plug and play seems to be running. Not sure about shell hardware detection?

13. Tardious

Tardious

You could always goto the windows update page and choose custom update then goto hardware, if your pc can see the device, the drivers (if they have them) will be available to select, Download and install

14. keerbear412

You may not believe this but, I have figured it out. I removed ALL of the other PCI cards and it installed with no problems. The sound card must have gotten "zapped". I put everything but the sound card back and it is still working! *wwsshheeww* THANK YOU for your assistance in my time of need!!! I really appreciate it!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice