1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Modem wont work!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chicks, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chicks

Chicks Thread Starter

Have put modem into computer running windows 98, fits all spec on modem but computer does not auto detect it as it should. Can install modem with disk but when going into diagnostics does not communicate with computer and brings up error message.

Am a bit of a novice and am not sure what to do next. Have tried installing on different com ports but to no avail!

Would appreciate any advice??....

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi, and welcome.

Does the modem appear in device manager?

Is your bios set to plug n play OS?

3. Chicks

Chicks Thread Starter

Yeah, modem does appear in device manager, have not checked bios but will do and will let you know how I get on!

Thanks!

4. ~Candy~

With a yellow exclamation mark? Or does it appear to be happy?

Perhaps a look at your IRQs for conflicts would be in order:

start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste the listing.

5. SLM302002

SLM302002

Hi all. Have the same exact problem - only, there is no modem listing in the device manager.
    Very frustrating.
    Thanks for the help.
    slm

6. ~Candy~

If no modem appears in device manager, check to be sure it's connected to the motherboard tightly.........

7. rsiddiqu

rsiddiqu

I had the same exact problem when I recently rebuilt my computer and installed windows 98. Try these two things:

First, ensure that the modem card is a snug fit. Try to press it down firmly.

Second, when you boot your computer up, you should get a message which says, ... new device encountered...., and if you pay attention to the message it will have some reference to a ...controller... which apparently is pointing to the new hardware, insert the disk or cd driver for the modem and you should be able to proceed with the install.

I always skipped the message and went straight to start-setings-control panel - modem and tried to install the modem but it would not detect the modem. For some reason, windows 98 tries to install some version of the driver for the modem which often is not an exact match to the modem you may have. Hope this helps.

8. waltj2

waltj2

Hello

Have you tried a different PCI slot? (Make sure you delete the modem thru Modems or Device Mgr. first) Sometimes Plug & Play is Plug & Pray(you picked the correct slot).

Walt

9. SLM302002

SLM302002

I replaced the modem. That solved the problem once I got the correct drivers installed.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice