1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: monitor blacks out

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sanjays, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sanjays

sanjays Thread Starter

i've been using win xp for a while.. recently, whenever i cold boot my computer, i get past the intel screen (i suppose that is the POST screen)..then the monitor blacks out.. then i restart manually and and get a few flashes after the POST screen and again the monitor blacks out.. then i restart again and get this message saying "we are sorry for the inconvenience . an attempt to start windows was not successful.." i choose "start windows normally" here and (if i am lucky) i get to the windows start up screen or else its another sequence of 'restarts'.. if i try to start it in safe mode, it hangs at the last file( i suppose that was mup.sys).. earlier i thought it was a sys file error and i reinstalled win xp, but that didnt fix my problem..then i read the posts in this forum regarding this issue and i ran a 'disk check', 'sfc scannow' but of no use.. i'm yet to run the memtest..
    i noticed something in eventvwr dialog.. it shows a warning sign against 'win32k'..i'm not sure whether this is a hardware or software issue.. can anyone help me?
    P.S. this occurs only during cold boot and i've no issues when i restart after xp has loaded..the situation is getting worse as the number of restarts required to boot the computer keeps increasing

2. sanjays

sanjays Thread Starter

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Sorry you have had to wait.
    When you boot safe mode and it hangs at mup.sys , that is NOT the error.
    MUP stands for mutiple universal naming convention provider and is loaded just before other drivers for USB ,network and graphics. Unfortunately at this stage it is impossible to say which would be the next on YOUR computer.
    The failure therefore is the next item to be loaded.
    When you get into XP go start, right clicki my computer , click properties, and then hardware and then device manager. Is there a warning exclamation on any entries.

If so which please.
    If this is a branded computer what is the make and model please.

4. sanjays

sanjays Thread Starter

i feel a bit dumb here, but i'm not sure where to look for the warning sign in the device manager.. so i double clicked every device and made sure all of them showed the message " this device is working properly"
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1014 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 32601 MB; D: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 36961 MB; E: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 30633 MB; F: Total - 32624 MB, Free - 26393 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation,

5. sanjays

sanjays Thread Starter

i'm not sure if this is relevant..just though of posting it..
    i see a couple of errors in the eventvwr dialog against w32time and service control manager and one against dcom..

6. Macboatmaster

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
    ...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
    2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
    3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
    4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
    5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
    6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
    7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

[​IMG]

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
    9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

[​IMG]

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

• Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
      This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
      Find the Advanced area and click Enter
      Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
      Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
      Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
      Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
      You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

[​IMG]

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

[​IMG]

The following image is the test results area:

[​IMG]

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

7. Macboatmaster

Further to the above I do not really see it being ram, but as you have reinstalled windows it is presumably hardware related, unless you have reinstalled software that is causing the problem.
    BEFORE YOU RUN MEMTEST
    Send the full details of those errors in dcom, etc. Open the error report and screenshot it.

The warnings would have ben a yellow or red mark by the side of one of the entries in Device Manager.
    Go back there and this time click the view tab on the top and click show hidden devices.

8. sanjays

sanjays Thread Starter

i dont think i have any warnings in device manager.. here is a snap shot of it

[​IMG]

here are the snapshots of 'dhcp'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here are snapshots of 'W32Time'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the image files i've uploaded does not work properly..i guess that may be due to my slow connection.. i've all these images at flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    i'm sorry for causing the trouble..kindly bear with me..

9. Macboatmaster

Some of the errors are the Windows Tiime Service - that is NOT directly connected with the time and date settings that appear on the bottom right of the taskbar.
    Go Control Panel, Date and time, check that date and time and time zone ARE correct
    Then click Internet Time and check that the box - automatically synchronize with an internet time server is checked. In the box will be the currently used time server. Click the Update Now.
    NOTE this will update ONLY if you are connected to the internet.
    Then click apply and OK.
    One of the errors suggests that it is set to use Time. Windows.com. If that time server set as that use the arrow to the right and select one of the others. Most likely "time.nist.gov" then click update.

The other errors are that the network could not find an IP address.
    Have you been altering settings for the internet TCP/IP DNS etc.
    and Windows time server.

10. sanjays

sanjays Thread Starter

i have applied the changes you mentioned to the clock.. and no, i havent made any changes to tcp/ip settings or to the modem(apart from switching off the WLAN).. i dont have any problems connecting to the internet.. it is the restarting problem that is bugging me:(.. i've planned to run the memtest tonight..i'll post you the results tmrw

11. Macboatmaster

I am surprised you say you have no problems connecting as the errors you posted repeatedly report that the computer could not obtain, renew or verifiy its IP address.

Go Control Panel - Network connections.
    Right click, click properties. scroll to TCP/IP click to highlight. Click properties and check that automatically obtain IP and automatically obtain DNS etc IS checked.
    If not do so and then click OK and close as required.

Attached Files:

12. sanjays

sanjays Thread Starter

i checked them and they were already selected..the errors may be due to my poor internet connection..anyway thanks for your advice..

And about the memtest...
    i ran the memtest for 7 passes.. it didnt show any errors..the test took about two hours to complete 7 passes..i am happy to know that my RAM isnt faulty, but that again leaves me wondering what could be causing the restarting trouble.. please help..

13. surferdude2

surferdude2

Try cold booting into Safe Mode and see if the problem disappears. That could tell if there is some driver or software having trouble loading and is causing your problem. If that be true, you could weed it out using msconfig to disable all startups and selectively enable them until the culprit is revealed. If that fails, you can perform a "Clean Boot" and it will give even more possibilities for detecting Processes that may be conflicting with others. Clean Boot Instructions Here

14. Macboatmaster

I am leaning towards a failing capacitor in the PSU or on some hardware

15. sanjays

sanjays Thread Starter

i apologize for the late reply
    thank you surferdude2..but that didnt work for me

sorry macboatmaster.. despite your excellent help, i had to bring in a technician (he suspects it to be MOBO overheating problem) as the situation is fast getting out of my hands (number of restarts required has to return has risen to 12)..
    i will keep this thread posted about the results

And one more thing... my technician(when he was examining my system) opened the cabinet and took off the RAM while the computer was still running..and the way he ran his nails through the golden pins to clean it, literally gave me an heart attack.. i've read about RAM being extremely responsive to static charge.. but his action didnt seem to have affected the RAM as both BIOS and DirectX diagnosis recognizes the entire memory.. can you throw some light on this ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice