1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor colour problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by impune24, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. impune24

impune24 Thread Starter

My monitor lives in a garden shed. Normally, there is a heater in there, but i have not worked out there much this winter :( - getting too old to get cold in the winter (no, not THAT old). Anyway, I went out to print something the other day, docked the laptop, and the TFT monitor came up in just shades of red, no blues or greens or yellows at all. panic stations. colours were fine on the laptop. Printed fine, too. next day, no picture at all on monitor. Two days later (warmer weather now), no problem, everthing back to normal.

Am completely baffled. What's going on? It's nearly out of warranty so I don't want to waste time, but it's a bit of a trek back to PCWorld to complain if I havent got a problem.

Anybody understand this?

Thanks a million! ;)

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I think you may be answering your own problem.
    Hot one day,cold the next.
    Others may have a more contructive answer..
    What system are you using?

3. impune24

impune24 Thread Starter

XP and a decent - quite expensive - Phillips TFT. is it really that simple? Technology never ceases to amaze and entertain, does it? :confused:

4. blues_harp28

Yes it does, any chance of fixing the heater and keeping a constant temperature?

5. impune24

impune24 Thread Starter

Yes, of course - and if i've done no permanent harm by leaving the poor thing in Siberian temperatures, so much the better. :eek:

6. blues_harp28

I apologize if you feel I am not taking your problem seriously.
    Others may be more helpful..watch this space..

7. impune24

impune24 Thread Starter

:eek: Sorry- that was not what I meant at all. I am very annoyed with myself for risking the kit by forgetting about temperature control. What worries me is whether this is something normal and it has just recovered, or whether it is a problem now. I wish I understood better what actually happened.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cannot rule out a temperature sensitive monitor fault, but as we do not know what temperature you refer to as "cold" its all very speculative.

If the monitor was being operated within its rated temperature specifications, then its a problem. If it was being operated outside those specifications it is not a problem you can complain to the suppliers about.

9. impune24

impune24 Thread Starter

It was down to 1 or 2 degrees, lower at night. Today, by comparison, it was +19 degrees (all Celsius). The joys of the British winter. Now I think about it, this is the TFT's first winter. I guess I'd better see what happens for a while - I'll leave this thread open. Thanks both for your help. :confused:

10. Arcadion

Arcadion

Most likely the problem was caused by heat stress breaking solder joints inside the screen, or condensation caused by the low temperatures, which eventually dried out.

11. blues_harp28

Living in the UK also, today was like a summers day but at night that drop in temperature
    must have an effect on your machine,hope that no lasting damage was done.
    You take care..

12. impune24

impune24 Thread Starter

I hope, of those two, that it was condensation. Otherwise I'm in trouble. :eek:

13. impune24

impune24 Thread Starter

[ I've learned my lesson. The heater's on, and it stays on. Hope I've got away with this! :rolleyes:

14. impune24

impune24 Thread Starter

(y) The solution was really simple - the office laptop/docking station combo (entirely different kit from different manufacturer) did the same thing and a colleague, walking past said, oh, you probably haven't undocked for a while, so there is a bit of dust or corrosion on the contacts on the docking station and when you re-dock, it does that. He blew on the contacts, shook it a bit, rebooted in a masterful way, and BINGO! did the same at home, same effect. Bliss oh joy. Now I feel even dumber!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/342316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice