Solved: Monitor compatibility

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

slavito007

Hello.
I'm considering a purchase of a new monitor. But I have one very important question: Is there any chance a 16:9 or 16:10 monitor won't run properly on my computer? If there is, what does it depend on?

slavito007

Thank you. But I already know about this setting and I'm still hesitating whether I will have problems or not.
My video card is ATI radeon X300/X550/X1050. Does it support HD resolution?
And another question: is this the maximum resolution of the monitor I'm currently with or is it the maximum supported resolution of the video card :

You shouldn't have a problem, but check with the monitor manufacturer first.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
1280x1024 is not the max resolution of your card, thats likely the max for the monitor its connected too.

Update your drivers before getting the new monitor: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownlo...px?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English

The Catalyst Control Center(CCC) will provide several 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions and will be accessible by right clicking on the desktop and choosing Catalyst Control Center - this method should allow you to see some extra resolutions with your current monitor if you go the Force option in the CCC.

ATI Tray Tools can also be used to add custom resolutions if the ATI drivers does not list a certain resolution: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=275077

slavito007

Thank you for the reply. It is good to know that is not the max resolution of my video card. And yes I updated the drivers. But now I have other hesitations. For example, is it worth buying 16:9 monitor? Because my budget is very limited and I cannot afford a 16:9 monitor bigger that 20 inches. When I saw them live they seemed very small unlike their pictures in the internet :D Or probably it is good to stick to the 4:3 format and look for something like that. What do you think?
And if it is not against the forum rules, could you suggest a specific brand which you think is better? Thank you.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
There isn't many 4:3 monitors left for sale, most have gone wide-screen.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Sites that cater to businesses still sell 4:3 monitors, but you'll pay more for them than you would a comparable sized 16:9 monitor.

slavito007

OK now I've chosen this model and it is almost firm: SAMSUNG SM-2243NW (LS22MYNKBB)
It is 16:10 and it is 22 inches. What do you think? Should I buy it?
I won't have problems with the resolution 1680 X 1050, will I?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Don't believe it'll be a problem with up to date drivers.

slavito007

Hello again. I found out from the sticker on my videocard that the exact model name is X550. This way I could find its full specification on the manufacturer's site. It supports resolutions up to 2048x1536 pixels. I am marking this tread solved. Thank you again all. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online