1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor connected to docking station

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by turnbuk, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turnbuk

turnbuk Thread Starter

I have a 17" Widescreen Sony VAIO laptop w/docking station (VGN-A190; Intel Pentium M 1.70 GHz; 1GB RAM; ATI RADEON 9700 64MB). Its a great computer which I've had for about 3 years. Still runs great! But unfortunately my laptop screen is beginning to die. It will only stay on for a few minutes before the back light turns off and you can't see anything. So instead of buying a new screen ($500), i went and bought an LG Flatron to hook up to my docking station using a DVI-D connection. Sort of a makeshift desktop set-up. I got it all hooked up and boom, got a nice clear picture. Except its got a 1in black border that runs equally around the picture. I tried playing with the resolution but the max i can go to is 1280 x 768. Is the connection from my laptop to the LCD monitor keeping my new monitor from capturing all the resolutions that the Laptop normally has by itself? How can i get the picture on my LCD to fill the screen? When i hook the monitor up to the docking station i only get three resolution choices: 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, and 1280 x 768. Appreciate any help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice