1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor cuts out . . .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by El_Doro, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

I've got a problem thats left me totally stumped, i turn my computer on, and it boots up just fine, it goes through the load up screens, then the windows xp logo with the status bar underneath, then my monitor cuts out saying its not recieving any signals? The computer itself appears to load up fine, i mean it doesnt cut out or anything, and there doesnt appear to be anything wrong with the monitor, it shows the initial boot screens fine.

I've had the PC plugged into a different monitor the last few weeks, and its been working fine, its only since i've gone to plug it into another monitor that the problem has come about. Unfortunatley i dont have the other monitor at the moment to try it out.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be happening??

Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice!

Cheers
    Liam

2. johnpost

johnpost

your video card may have things like resolution and refresh that
    can't be done on that monitor

in your video properties go set for a lower resolution
    and refresh.

if that doesn't cure then test other monitor on machine
    and other machine on monitor

3. norton850

norton850

Of course to try what johnpost suggested you will need to boot up in safe mode.

4. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

I've been trying to restart in safe mode, by using the f8 method, but this takes me to a screen asking which device i would like to boot from and lists all the available drives? would this mean there's a problem with the computer or am i trying to enter safe mode the wrong way?

5. norton850

norton850

That's OK. Some systems do that. Choose your boot device. The next screen should be the Windows Options screen. If not repeat the process, choose your boot device and immediately start hitting F8.

6. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

I managed to get on in safe mode, but i cant open the monitor control program, NVIDIA desktop manager, it just won't open, so all i have is the display properties to work with i think?

Any ideas?

7. johnpost

johnpost

in display properties

go to settings tab

changeing the screen area value lower may help

also

click on advanced box then monitor tab

change refresh frequency to 60 Hz

in trioubleshooting tab

turn acceleration down

8. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

OK so the screen resolution is set at its lowest, 800 x 600, by default, due to the fact i'm in safe mode i assume?

As for the frequency the only option i have in the drop down box is 'use hardware defalut setting'

Have tried reducing the acceleration but still no change.

9. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

so here's my problem again, just to clarify where i stand . . .

My computer turns on and begins to load up, reaching the screen with the XP logo and thae staus bar at the bottom, and at the point where you would expect it to change to the login screen, my monitor then goes blank and says its recieving no signal, the computer however is still running fine.

But if i start the pc in safe mode then it will load up fine . . .

10. norton850

norton850

Go to Safe Mode screen (Option screen). Try last know good configuration.

11. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

when i try last known good configuration it just does the same thing.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

13. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

Tried another monitor this morning, same problem, so i can rule out there being any sort of fault with the monitor.

My only problem with trying an xp repair, or indeed a clean installation is that i can only get the pc to work in safe mode, so can't connect an external drive by usb to backup?

Any ideas for what my next move should be?

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Either video card is shot and cannot do more than post and you could boot to safe mode by tapping F8 repeatedly after hitting power button only choose "use vga display" and try to boot.
    If that works then it is a video monitor driver issue. if it doesn't then hard drive is "toast".

15. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

pc fully loaded using vga display, so managed to download new drivers for my video card, restart, and problem solved!

Thanks for all the help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice