1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor Does Not Turn On Right Away

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MasterMarik, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MasterMarik

MasterMarik Thread Starter

When I start up my computer, it used to be that my monitor would turn on quickly but now it takes (at last count) over 4 hours for this to occur, like it didn't remember how until that time and after that is fine. The LED light is on and the noises that indicate the computer is booting up sound but the monitor stays black. When the screen does come on, it stays on after displaying either "no signal" or "digital".

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

3. MasterMarik

Here's my comp's info: Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2 OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+, x64 Family 15 Model 28 Stepping 0 Processor Count: 1 RAM: 1533 Mb Graphics Card: VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series, 512 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 190779 MB, Free - 106619 MB; E: Total - 91306 MB, Free - 61520 MB; F: Total - 4078 MB, Free - 2786 MB; Motherboard: First International Computer, Inc., K8M-800M Antivirus: None

4. dai

dai

what power supply

make
    model
    wattage

what does the bios list for 12v line voltages and cpu temp

is it the same booting into safe mode

why are you running with no anti virus installed

5. MasterMarik

I do have an anti-virus (Kaspersky) but dunno why it's not finding that. How do I go about finding the rest of those? I can try booting into Safe Mode but not the minute my comp starts up because the monitor's screen will not be turned on.

6. dai

dai

take the side off the case and look at the psu label for the details

to force up safe mode turn the computer on and off 3 times and windows should bring up safe mode because of the failed boot

7. MasterMarik

Do I need to wait for the comp to finish booting up before I force it to shut down again because I did not and did not reach Safe Mode (I know because I heard the Windows Vista jingle).

8. dai

dai

no you do it during the post screens before it reaches windows

9. MasterMarik

Well I wouldn't be able to see when I'm at there. I started the next cycle almost right after the comp started up from the previous cycle.

10. dai

dai

you don't need to see it,you start turn it off start turn it off start turn it off start and it should bring up safe mode

power supply details

11. MasterMarik

If I can't see it, how will I know I'm in Safe Mode? Your suggestion DID help cut the time it took for my monitor to turn on by about half though so I think it may be just that the computer has so much stored of when the browser windows and such were opened and closed.

12. dai

dai

when the monitor did come up was it in safe mode

if you have any usb plugged in,unplug them and see if it makes a difference

13. MasterMarik

It was not and since I heard the Windows Vista jingle, I knew it wasn't going to be in Safe Mode. I had no USBs plugged in at the time.

14. dai

dai

go into msconfig and tick the box to start in safe mode,reboot and see if it boots normally or is the same

you will have to go back after and change it back

15. MasterMarik

Just got my comp into Safe Mode and the problem with the monitor not turning on persisted throughout until just now. One thing I forgot to mention was that the LED light would occasionally blink on and off, as if to jog its memory for how to turn on the screen.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice