I have this PC I got 3 years ago, it's been great until now:

AMD Athlon 64 @ 2 GHz
2 gigs of ram in dual channel
Ati X1600XT video card
some seagate 160gb HD
420W PSU
LG L1750SQ monitor (17 inch)

Here's what happens:

-I turn on the power (press the button on the extension cord my pc components are connected to - monitor, pc, printer, speakers)

Monitor goes into standby as expected, speakers are on

-I press the on button on the pc and it powers up, I get a green splash screen saying A8R-MVP which is my motherboard, for a few seconds

-then it beeps once, it's a short, singular beep (I've read that this can matter) and winxp starts loading, I get the xp splash screen

-just as xp finishes loading and I'm supposed to get the first glimpse of that glorious microsoft desktop BOOM! the monitor goes into power saving mode (yellow LED)

However, the pc itself continues to function normally; if I randomly start clicking and pressing enter I can hear sounds from games and other programs, so the pc works

I've tried switching the ram around, removing the battery for the bios for a while, reconnecting the cables; I don't know what's causing it, this is a fresh OS install and it did happen a couple of times before I did the reinstall but it fixed itself and the monitor worked upon restart

another thing to note is that if I remove the drivers in safe mode (I'm in safe mode right now) for the video card, the monitor works in normal mode, but I don't want to reinstall those drivers all the time, it'd be too hard

please help

EDIT:

Okay I've got it, the pc can't find the video card, I need to go into the System menu > Hardware > scan for hardware changes because it doesn't detect it on its own and only then install the drivers, but it doesn't really last, next bootup it's broken again, any other ideas ?

See less See more
#3 ·
bump for my question, since I haven't fixed it yet

Here's the thing, I've narrowed it down to the drivers messing up the vid card somehow. I'm only installing the drivers for my Ati X1600XT, not that catalyst thing and it installs two hardware items, one radeon X1600 and one radeon X1600 secondary; is this normal ? should I disable one? if so, which one ?

another thing is that this latest episode has been brought on by a momentary power loss (from the grid, not from my comp) and when I switched it back on it had this defect, so is it possible my PSU is breaking down and not giving power to the video card; but if it is so, then how come I can use the monitor just fine in safe mode when it's connected to the same card ??

this is all confusing, please help

#4 ·
It's normal, they're for the two display ports there are in the vid card.
It might be the PSu breaking, it is enough in safe mode when the vid card isn't fully in use as the drivers aren't loaded. Might want to replace it. It's the main suspect at the moment, IMO.

#6 ·
EDIT: it's sorted, apparently

I got a thermaltake 550W PSU, stark contrast from my old 420W PSU, it's really cool and really silent, now I just need a cpu fan that's this silent

it's also big so I'm keeping it on top of my cpu case (which I keep open for better ventilation)

thank you so much for your answers, the internet's great isn't it :D

although I should have taken the hint from my monitor, "power saving mode" was just too obvious hahaha, thanks again

#8 ·
this is insane, two days later it does it again, in spite of the new PSU, computers suck, I mean really

does this mean there's a power loss elsewhere ? but why did it work just fine for two days ? why isn't it working now ?

another thing, it went to power saving mode when I changed the frequency to 75hz, so it doesn't give the out of range error when that's too high, although it is supposed to work fine at 75, hmm

#10 ·
no way, yesterday it worked just fine, there's nothing wrong with the hardware, although I think there's something broken in the system menu in the hardware list;

as I was installing the drivers, the devices remained with an exclamation mark, so I uninstalled the driver right after I installed it, then reinstalled it and pressed "scan for hardware changes" a couple of times and they worked; right now I'm in normal mode in a 1024x768 desktop, works fine, I can run games and apps etc.

baffling isn't it, it's as if it has its own attitude

anyway, that's enough of this thread, I appreciate your help and I'll fiddle with it till it works, now that I know where the problem lies, in the software controls for the hardware

thanks again, I'll get it right, I'm sure of it

#11 ·
Okay, see how it's working, post in some of the software type forums if something's badly wrong. Might start being worth to reinstall windows... Do some registry fixing and see if that helps at all. (set system restore point, use something like CCleaner to do a registry scan, fix all issues it finds. Another, I think more thorough program to use is Advanced WindowsCare.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.