1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Monitor goes into standby mode during gameplay

Discussion in 'Games' started by TaylorC04, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaylorC04

TaylorC04 Thread Starter

So I have run into a strange problem that keeps cropping up for me when I play a couple games on my PC. First of all, I have an Athlon II X2 240 processor with 3 GB of memory and a GeForce 210 graphics card. My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 923nw. The games I play are played through the Steam program, and I first noticed the problem while playing Dead Space. I can make it through at least 20 minutes of gameplay and then suddenly my monitor goes black and the blue standby light starts flashing. I try unplugging the cables from the monitor and plugging them in again, I try turning off the monitor and turning it on again, pressing the adjustment buttons, and nothing works. Even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work, leaving me with restarting my PC as the only option.

I wondered if it was a problem with the graphics card, but I've never known a graphics problem to force a restart, and then I started having the same issue with another game. I'd played Fallout: New Vegas for about an entire year with no problems until I downloaded and installed the last expansion, Lonesome Road. After I did that, it has started doing the same standby thing after 20+ minutes of gameplay. I tried disabling the expansion and playing through and got the same problem. I can actually still hear the game running in the background, and if I've got other audio running, like music or a podcast, I can still hear it as well, so it's not actually crashing my PC and only seems to affect the monitor.

I had read somewhere that the power cord might be the problem, so I swapped it out. The issue seemed to go away for a good while, but it came back again today while playing New Vegas. I'm really at a loss for what this could be. I'll appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Firstly, graphics problem can easily and frequency cause problems with force you to restart the PC, that isn't uncommon at all. The things I would look at first are as follows:

1) What is the exact make and model of the PC assuming it is a big brand name like HP, Dell Acer etc? If it is a self / custom build what is the exact make and model of motherboard, CPU, RAM, Graphics card, Power Supply.

2) Have you ever upgraded any hardware since you got the PC?

3) Is the inside clean and free from dust? Dust will build up and clog up heatsinks and fans etc, this can significantly reduce their cooling efficiency which inturn causes components to overheat. This can cause crashes etc and can ultimately lead to physical damage to the components. On that note, what are you temperatures like, I use HWMonitor to get an idea of my system temps. Install the program and take a screenshot of it, then run a game for 5 mins or so with HWMonitor running in the background, then close the game and screenshot it again. Post the two screenshots in a reply here.

4) The power supply could be old, weak or underpowered, should get a feel for that if you provide the info in 2 and 3 above.

3. TaylorC04

TaylorC04 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Downloaded HWMonitor and found the problem was overheating. I installed another fan and it works fine now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice